How to recover not deleted pictures (files)

mxo2204

I have a HDD that can't be read by the regular file system (says boot problem). I was able to connect the drive using an USB interface. I have checked with Recuva and many DELETED files could be found (i.e. in the Internet TMP folders). Those files show up good with the filename and the preview.

However, Recuva does NOT show NOT DELETED files. I have tried to use PC Inspector Smart Recovery, and this program found about 200 images and has recovered them. PC Inspector however is extremely slow and will run for several days until it may recover all data.

So, simple question, is there a Flag or something that can be set, so Recuva also searches for NOT deleted files to be recovered? Should be an easy thing to implement as the basic technology is already there.

Thanks and best regards!

Welcome to Piriform mxo2204.

However, Recuva does NOT show NOT DELETED files.

Well I'm not sure how your topic title Replying to How to recover not deleted pictures (files) relates. Recuva recovers deleted files providing they haven't been overwritten by other files.

Why would you want to recover not deleted pictures. If they aren't deleted to can obviously see them so do with them what you want to. Or am I missing some point here? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform mxo2204.

Well I'm not sure how your topic title Replying to How to recover not deleted pictures (files) relates. Recuva recovers deleted files providing they haven't been overwritten by other files.

Why would you want to recover not deleted pictures. If they aren't deleted to can obviously see them so do with them what you want to. Or am I missing some point here? ;)

Keithuk,

sorry, maybe the topic title is mis-leading a bit. I tried to change but this was not possible.

The message body has the explanation. I cannot access the Harddisk because it's data structure is corrupted. So regular OS does not see anything. I found that Recuva finds those images that have the delete flag set (for example those in the Internet Cache etc.). But Recuva does not show images that are still available but dont have a delete flag on them.

I have used PhotoRec ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ) to recover most of the data I need now. I thought Recuva could do the same easily.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I have used PhotoRec ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ) to recover most of the data I need now. I thought Recuva could do the same easily.

As far as I can tell Recuva, in normal scan mode, reads the disk's MFT and reports on those entries marked as deleted. In deep scan mode it scans every used sector(?) on the disk and reports on these. I don't know whether deep scan also reads the MFT, I've never really thought about it. In neither mode does Recuva appear to scan live files (how, in deep scan, it knows what sector is live and what isn't I haven't though about either). Anyway, your pics are recovered so problem solved.

We will be adding the ability to recover non-deleted files in the next release.

Well thats sounds like a contradiction Ron, recover non-deleted files. If they aren't deleted why do you need to recover them? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I agree, it sounds contradictory, I assume it means (as I interpret the OP's case) that live files on a disk that is not accessible (i.e won't boot up, can't be read normally) will be able to be recovered with Recuva. Sounds complicated to me. Perhaps Ron can elucidate.

Guest MrRon

The current version of Recuva only ever finds files that are marked as deleted. This is usually enough, but if you are trying to recover files from a drive that has been reformatted, or damaged, you might also want to restore files that were not deleted.

:)

MrRon