Browser faceoff: IE vs Firefox vs Opera vs Safari

Humpty

Can't really comment as I haven't given any other browsers a decent run other than FF but I have tried Opera and it is good.

Test setup

To test the performance of browsers when handling Web 2.0 technologies, we used the iBench 5.0 test suite and SunSpider, a Javascript benchmark.

iBench evaluates browser performance by measuring how fast HTML, XML and JavaScript is handled. The web pages are held on a local web server. SunSpider, which (unlike iBench) is available online, concentrates solely on JavaScript performance. Tests are grouped into nine categories, including 3D, bit operations, cryptography and string processing; there are several tests within each group. The benchmark runs each test multiple times and calculates an error range.

ZDnet Article

Can't really comment as I haven't given any other browsers a decent run other than FF but I have tried Opera and it is good.

ZDnet Article

I don't pay much attention to test like those. They hardly ever resemble what I experience in real life day to day use.

Opera 9.5 beta 2 is so much faster than all my other browsers it's very noticeable even on the high speed cable connection I use. I recently started testing out Firefox 3RC1 and it's not nearly as fast as Opera 9.5 beta 2 either.

• Moderators

You know, I wasn't really bothered until the last week or so.

It feels like I've been unfairly banned from an exclusive club. And if I run Opera after first connecting to the Internet with something else, like Firefox, it is really slick.

The first thing I noticed was the speed it loaded pages. Anyways, I've got a thread going about this, so I'll not hog this one, but I couldn't resist a wee comment.

• Moderators

Well, you guys aren't concentrating. I've said this a few times.

I mentioned recently that I found the portable Opera worked surprisingly quick off a thumb drive, but again after first getting another program to connect to the web.

The only problem has always been that it will not connect to the Internet, and on principal I refuse to use a browser that has to be jump started to the web by another program.

Does this mean that you guys might have a solution? 26512533290.gif