Fake MP3 Trojan Detected On 27% Of PCs

Humpty

Take care and be aware!

Since Friday, more than half a million Trojan horse programs disguised as media files have been detected on consumer PCs, according to McAfee Avert Labs.

"This is one of the most prevalent pieces of malware in the last three years," said Craig Schmugar, a McAfee Avert Labs researcher, in an e-mailed statement. "We have never before had a threat this significant that arrives as a media file."

The Trojan malware, Downloader-UA.h, was added to the McAfee database several days ago. In the past 24 hours, it has been detected by McAfee VirusScan Online on more than 119,000 computers out of almost 436,000 scanned, an infection rate of 27%. Other malware McAfee is tracking exhibits an infection rate in the 1% to 5% range.

Article

I can't believe that that many PC users fall for that old "Enhancer" ploy.

However,there are many that believe "the other man's grass is always greener".

Glad I did my reading on the forum.Especially in the Lounge.

:) davey

• Moderators

I had emailed a now dead and buried online security website many years ago that malware could be inserted into MP3's after they had an article stating it was not possible. All these years later, I win the argument! But that really stinks, and it's why everything must be scanned for malware.