AVG 8 Resource hog

Anthony A

I installed AVG AV 8.0 today on one of my machines. The install package is 46 MB but once installed it leaves a much smaller footprint. I found about 26 MB of files. I tracked the install with Z Soft Uninstaller. How can that be that the actual install is so much smaller than the the installer package? Any way that was a pleasant surprise.

Than I checked out the RAM usage and that was a big disappointment. AVG AV 7.5 used less than 2 MB of RAM total between all the AVG processes running (on my machines anyways). AVG AV 8.0 is using 20 x that amount. The big hog is the Resident Shield.

i904_20080502204010.jpg

• Moderators
How can that be that the actual install is so much smaller than the the installer package? Any way that was a pleasant surprise.

Maybe the install package has some different files for different versions of Windows. I've seen it in the past when peaking inside of av installers where they've had files for compatibility with Win9x, then have something else for NT-based systems.

The big hog is the Resident Shield.

Perhaps that's because it has antivirus and antispyware shields merged together now. Avast is also somewhat of a RAM hog especially if unnecessary resident protection is allowed to run if it isn't getting used for anything.