System restore and fonts disappeared, help please

I am new to CCleaner. I don't know what I did wrong, but I have no system restore points (XP), which I did have, and when I go to windows update or google, the font is very large. I merged the registry backups I made, but nothing changed. Is there a setting I should uncheck to have system restore remain in the future? I assume I just uncheck the fonts in the registry cleaner in the future so I don't loose them. Now, is there any way to get everything back to where they were? Thanks in advance.

Im assuming your using Internet Explorer when visiting Google or Windows Update? In IE goto the View menu then Text Size. Choose Medium or Smaller. This not only affects IE but also Windows help as well as some other applications.

As for the restore points. You can manualy create a new restore point otherwise Windows will create them automatically as you use the system. AFAIK CC dosent delete or remove restore points. They are stored in a hidden system folder "C:\System Volume Information" the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows has the ability to delete all but the most recent restore point(s). But Im pretty sure that has to be user initiated and cant be automated.

AFAIK CC dosent delete or remove restore points.
CCleaner has not cleaned out any of my Restore Points.

the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows has the ability to delete all but the most recent restore point(s).
The Disk Cleanup utility in XP Pro does not clean out Restore Points for me.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The Disk Cleanup utility in XP Pro does not clean out Restore Points for me.

Hey YoKenny,

It has probably been too long since you used Disk Cleanup.

Remember that other tab "More Options".About the only time I use Disk Cleanup anymore is to get rid of System Restore data.It comes in handy when you want to reduce the size of reserved disk space for System Restore Points. You must not read the HiJackThis forum too much either.One of the last steps they do is create a "new" clean Restore point and delete all the others as they may have malware saved in them.

Healthy people soon forget what the doctor's office looks like !!! :D

:) davey

Im assuming your using Internet Explorer when visiting Google or Windows Update? In IE goto the View menu then Text Size. Choose Medium or Smaller. This not only affects IE but also Windows help as well as some other applications.

As for the restore points. You can manualy create a new restore point otherwise Windows will create them automatically as you use the system. AFAIK CC dosent delete or remove restore points. They are stored in a hidden system folder "C:\System Volume Information" the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows has the ability to delete all but the most recent restore point(s). But Im pretty sure that has to be user initiated and cant be automated.

I did change the font size back to original in IE, found that easily. The fonts in the AOL browser have changed to become large in the Google site, and I can't find a way to restore them to the originial size.

I do create restore points whenever I bugger around with the PC, or intstall something new. Since CC doesn't remove them, I guess I mucked something esle up, as I didn't manually remove them. Thanks for the help..

Sadly I know little too nothing about AOL's browser. In looking over thier FAQ's its suggested to change the font size in IE and AOL Browser should adhere to that setting. But thats not working for you, so I can only suggest going through the support channels at AOL.

I am new to CCleaner. I don't know what I did wrong, but I have no system restore points (XP), which I did have, and when I go to windows update or google, the font is very large. I merged the registry backups I made, but nothing changed. Is there a setting I should uncheck to have system restore remain in the future? I assume I just uncheck the fonts in the registry cleaner in the future so I don't loose them. Now, is there any way to get everything back to where they were? Thanks in advance.

Hi 4087,

Bad luck!!! You have a lot of reading to do but you can do it a little at a time.

Don't do any more Registry "cleaning" until you do.

First thing to do is Get and install ERUNT and NTREGOPT as explained here.Do this now!!!Run ERUNT now!!! ERUNT gives a better chance of successful recovery than System Restore.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99057

You may have merged the CCleaner .reg files incorrectly.Make sure that you merge them in the reverse order that they were created.They are created with a date and time stamp in the name.

Merge the latest .reg file first.Then the prior .reg file.Then the one prior to that etc.

Read the thread that Hazelnut recommended above.

Make sure that System Restore is on and that Windows Firewall is working and also Security Center.

I had a bad piece of software that kept turning these off.When System Restore is turned off then all your Restore points will be deleted.When you turn it back on you need to reboot so Restoe points will start again.

Also one of Hazelnut's links for System Restore problems. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Good luck,

Hi 4087,

Bad luck!!! You have a lot of reading to do but you can do it a little at a time.

Don't do any more Registry "cleaning" until you do.

First thing to do is Get and install ERUNT and NTREGOPT as explained here.Do this now!!!Run ERUNT now!!! ERUNT gives a better chance of successful recovery than System Restore.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99057

You may have merged the CCleaner .reg files incorrectly.Make sure that you merge them in the reverse order that they were created.They are created with a date and time stamp in the name.

Merge the latest .reg file first.Then the prior .reg file.Then the one prior to that etc.

Read the thread that Hazelnut recommended above.

Make sure that System Restore is on and that Windows Firewall is working and also Security Center.

I had a bad piece of software that kept turning these off.When System Restore is turned off then all your Restore points will be deleted.When you turn it back on you need to reboot so Restoe points will start again.

Also one of Hazelnut's links for System Restore problems. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Good luck,

Thanks. I did the merge in reverse order. What I really think happened to the restore is, I was looking for deleted files with a restoring program, it asked if I wanted to release space on the HD. I said no, but the window popped up for each file. I quickly clicked to complete the process, and I probably clicked yes in error. Only a guess, but I have run CClean since and the new restore points are there. Regarding the google font, something must have been going on at their end, because suddenly everything is OK.