Anyone else ever heard of Blackle?

Icedrake

Have had it as my homepage for a while now, go figure. It theoretically saves energy because when black pixels are displayed, you ideally have to use less energy to produce black than white or any other color. Yes, your backlight is on, but you don't have to turn the pixel on from its rest state.

An Inconvenient Truth might not have been totally truthful, but it still has some validity behind it.

AJ

A monitor uses the same energy regardless of what colour pixels are displayed.

Using black backgrounds as a way of promoting use of less light is just a way of getting the message across that we need to preserve energy.

From their website:

Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy. Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search.

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen." Roberson et al, 2002

In January 2007 a blog post titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year proposed the theory that a black version of the Google search engine would save a fair bit of energy due to the popularity of the search engine. Since then there has been skepticism about the significance of the energy savings that can be achieved and the cost in terms of readability of black web pages.

We believe that there is value in the concept because even if the energy savings are small, they all add up. Secondly we feel that seeing Blackle every time we load our web browser reminds us that we need to keep taking small steps to save energy

AJ

• Moderators

I hated it when google made their page black for a day.(couple weeks ago)

Sorry but this is one of the most pointless things you could possibly do in order to help the environment. I personally dont even buy into the global warming hype but if you want to help then start protesting all those companies in China who are creating a CO2 cloud the size of texas or start going after hypocritical oafs like Al Gore who thinks its ok to pollute as long as you pay a tax on it.

• 3 months later...

There are around 25 different versions of ?black google? online. The best one I?ve found is www.cleanblack.com. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/

Edited by Andavari
Made text normal size

Welcome geminihunter

I don't like black background.

It reminds me of going to school and listening to the teacher scratch on the blackboard sometimes with ear piercing screeches.

I don't like large bold characters to post with unless I need to make a point :rolleyes:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome geminihunter

I don't like black background.

It reminds me of going to school and listening to the teacher scratch on the blackboard sometimes with ear piercing screeches.

I don't like large bold characters to post with unless I need to make a point :rolleyes:

On par with having only "Black and white" TV. Rarely desirable.

:) davey I will by-pass this offer. Fads come and go. Just like head-aches.

Turn off the lights when not needed. Average Thermostat down a notch in Winter and up a notch in Summer.