Gap- Errorr Cleaner 203.532

marlin

Hello out there..

at first: very fine and useful program, this CLEANER.

I?m not sure, but there seems to occur ONE "security" gap trying to clean all traces of done sessions - regarding firefox 2.xxx (latest version)

Every time running system shutdown with open firefox sessions after restarting the system there will be the firefox-question: unexpected shutdown - shall the interrupted sessions be restaurated? (or similar in that kind... )

And all the cache data of firefox are still available - ALTHOUGH - and I think, this is a gap or mistake - CLEANER cleans the system at EVERY system-start getting lounched by autostart. Why are the firefox data not cleaned? Normally running CLEANER evrey bit of

firefox-data will be wiped exactly - so why not at he automatical start under the same configuration?

Second gap: The seerch-item List of OUTLOOK will not be wiped - but it should, I guess. How can I help his?

Hello out there..

I?m not sure, but there seems to occur ONE "security" gap trying to clean all traces of done sessions - regarding firefox 2.xxx (latest version)

Every time running system shutdown with open firefox sessions after restarting the system there will be the firefox-question: unexpected shutdown - shall the interrupted sessions be restaurated? (or similar in that kind... )

And all the cache data of firefox are still available - ALTHOUGH - and I think, this is a gap or mistake - CLEANER cleans the system at EVERY system-start getting lounched by autostart. Why are the firefox data not cleaned?

Marlin

If you manually run CCleaner whilst Firefox is running, then CCleaner will warn "Firefox/Mozilla cache cleaning was skipped." - it just will not happen. This may be good manners by CCleaner not to zap data still in use by other applications, or it may be that Firefox has invoked some sort of Windows Protection until it releases that data. I just don't know how, but it happens.

If you do a system shut-down whilst Firefox is still running, you are not forgiven :-

1) When you restart the system, and EVENTUALLY launch Firefox, then Firefox will complain that you interrupted it, and offer you the choice of restart where it left off with re-connections to yesterday's sites, or of a fresh start waiting for you to select what to visit. This all happens even if CCleaner has not been in use.

2) If you restart the system, and then run CCleaner BEFORE EVENTUALLY launching Firefox,

THEN were CCleaner to clean the Firefox cache it would probably remove the data needed by Firefox to offer you the choice to reconnect to yesterday's sites, and I would view this removal of needed data as a bug.

Your experience suggests that CCleaner does not clean the Firefox cache if Firefox is going to need its data, possibly because CCleaner is very clever and knows in advance what will be needed, and is very good mannered, OR because your shut-down prevented Firefox from releasing its data, and so when the system restarts then Windows remembers that the cache belongs to Firefox, and wont let anything else damage the cache until Firefox has been run and has released it.

I never choose to shut-down with Firefox still running. That is rude !!!

Sometimes a shut-down is forced upon me (a BSOD, or a system lock-up that may yield to Ctrl/Alt/Del, or might need 5 seconds holding down the Power button), and then I am really glad that upon restart then Firefox is able to automatically remember where I was and to reconnect me - and perhaps I might be a little more cautious what I click on !

I would suggest that applications should be closed before shutting down the system, otherwise it takes longer for the shut-down process to complete, and perhaps a time-out might disrupt what should be and orderly closure. It might be worth inspecting your system event log to see if it has any bad news about loss of data !

I consider it perfect that CCleaner refrains from damaging the Firefox Cache when Firefix has not finished with it, and I would not want it to work any other way.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Marlin

If you manually run CCleaner whilst Firefox is running, then CCleaner will warn "Firefox/Mozilla cache cleaning was skipped." - it just will not happen. This may be good manners by CCleaner not to zap data still in use by other applications, or it may be that Firefox has invoked some sort of Windows Protection until it releases that data. I just don't know how, but it happens.

If you do a system shut-down whilst Firefox is still running, you are not forgiven :-

1) When you restart the system, and EVENTUALLY launch Firefox, then Firefox will complain that you interrupted it, and offer you the choice of restart where it left off with re-connections to yesterday's sites, or of a fresh start waiting for you to select what to visit. This all happens even if CCleaner has not been in use.

2) If you restart the system, and then run CCleaner BEFORE EVENTUALLY launching Firefox,

THEN were CCleaner to clean the Firefox cache it would probably remove the data needed by Firefox to offer you the choice to reconnect to yesterday's sites, and I would view this removal of needed data as a bug.

Your experience suggests that CCleaner does not clean the Firefox cache if Firefox is going to need its data, possibly because CCleaner is very clever and knows in advance what will be needed, and is very good mannered, OR because your shut-down prevented Firefox from releasing its data, and so when the system restarts then Windows remembers that the cache belongs to Firefox, and wont let anything else damage the cache until Firefox has been run and has released it.

I never choose to shut-down with Firefox still running. That is rude !!!

Sometimes a shut-down is forced upon me (a BSOD, or a system lock-up that may yield to Ctrl/Alt/Del, or might need 5 seconds holding down the Power button), and then I am really glad that upon restart then Firefox is able to automatically remember where I was and to reconnect me - and perhaps I might be a little more cautious what I click on !

I would suggest that applications should be closed before shutting down the system, otherwise it takes longer for the shut-down process to complete, and perhaps a time-out might disrupt what should be and orderly closure. It might be worth inspecting your system event log to see if it has any bad news about loss of data !

I consider it perfect that CCleaner refrains from damaging the Firefox Cache when Firefix has not finished with it, and I would not want it to work any other way.

Alan

Alan- thxs for Your detailed explanation. You consider it useful and logical, that cleaner "spares" unclosed program-parts or processes of FF - maybe You?re right. I myself IMHO would prefer a less well mannered wiper, because I consider data-security as more important than the comfort of relounching and continuing an interrupted FF-Session, for somitimes You just forget to close FF before shutting down and every next System -User might see all details of Your alst FF-Session - a rather high risk, I think.

So what?

I suggest:

There should be created a cleaner parameter, by which You can modify CLEANER?s beahaviour as You like ist. There should be one option for well mannered behaviour and one for brute force wiping. So everybody would be pleased :-) and depending from the chosen option CLEANER would ignore oder kill open processes after system-Restart.