Disabling automatic update check doesn't work

Firip

I have set CCleaner to *not* automatically search for updates.

Nevertheless, with each Windows-start the URL http://www.CCleaner.com/update is launched.

How can I stop this?

Hello Firip,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for your report.I have been around the forum now a little over 4 months.I have questions regarding automatic check for updates myself as I have never used it.Yours is the only one I have seen that actually mentions a connection being launched.

I am going to assume you are using 2000/XP/Vista.You also are running CCleaner at startup.

At Options > Advanced is the box Save all settings to INI file checked.

If not, check it and make sure the *not* automatically search for updates option is set.

Give it shot.If that works let me know.If not then do the following.

These answers help evaluate your problem.Just fill in answers next to questions?

CCleaner version ?

OS and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

:) davey

I have set CCleaner to *not* automatically search for updates.

Nevertheless, with each Windows-start the URL http://www.CCleaner.com/update is launched.

How can I stop this?

Davey is right on with what he said, and Davey btw nice list of questions - I'll probably steal it. Once you've done the suggestions Davey gave, and if you're still getting the update page launching, try using this tool with caution.

AutoRuns

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

It's an excellent tool that will tell you about anything that runs at startup. It wasn't originally written by MS, so you don't have to worry that it's spying on you. ;)

Just use caution in removing start up items, it will let you remove things that you really do want to start up. The tool has a feature that will let you do a web search about any item it finds (right click on any item).

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

Thanks for your quick replies!

I stumbled over this due to an error with my local proxy software (proxomitron) which reports missing components while launching the CCleaner update page. I guess without the proxomitron problem I would never have noticed that.

Actually, I already checked with autoruns but didn't find anything suspicious.

Also I have that ini-setting checked and the update-setting unchecked (did that in the first install). I toggled that a few times and checked the CCleaner.ini afterwards. The corresponding line says

UpdateCheck=0

I just had the idea to compare that with a Backup I made a few weeks ago, since I never changed that setting. And guess what? In the backupped CCleaner.ini the "UpdateCheck=0" line is missing. :blink: Which brings me to the thought that the setting wasn't properly saved when it was made.

I will keep an eye on it the next days. Maybe the added line now prevents CCleaner from update-checking. I'll also check on my other PCs (same configuration). If there's the same problem, I'll report back.

Me again. As promised I checked my other PC. And indeed: in the CCleaner GUI the update checkbox isn't checked but in the ini-file the mentioned line above is missing (what causes the update check).

So that seems to be a bug. I couldn't make the line appear by toggling the ini-checkbox but once I enabled the update check and disabled it afterwards the line was there.

Me again. As promised I checked my other PC. And indeed: in the CCleaner GUI the update checkbox isn't checked but in the ini-file the mentioned line above is missing (what causes the update check).

So that seems to be a bug. I couldn't make the line appear by toggling the ini-checkbox but once I enabled the update check and disabled it afterwards the line was there.

OK Firip,

I find no problem at all.Updates only come out maybe once a month.Use the check for updates link on the CCleaner screen when ever you need to check.

Do things in this order.

Start CCleaner.

You want to CHECK the Save settings to INI file and leave it checked at all times.

You want to UNCHECK the Automatically check for updates to CCleaner and leave it unchecked at all times.

Now TOGGLE every option there is in CCleaner. OFF,ON,OFF. OR ON,OFF,ON.

Now EXIT CCleaner.

Now look in the CCleaner.ini file and you should find a nice sorted list of all your settings including Cookies to keep,Include data, and Exclude data.

Copy this CCleaner.ini file to My Documents.You can create "special cleaning" CCleaner.ini files and also save them in My Documents.

All you have to do is copy the saved .ini file into the CCleaner folder to run any cleaning job.

If you get the Registry messed up or uninstall CCleaner for some reason,you will still have all your settings saved in My Documents to be used later.

Of course, you want to also keep a copy of any special setup winapp file or winapp2 file

I hate losing all my settings,my Cookies to keep, and having to retype Include or Exclude entries.

Good Luck,

:) davey