Some files not deleting

very interesting

Problem: Some files in the temporary Internet folders are not being deleted, either manually using windows explorer or by CCleaner. They are listed when analyzed, but simply not deleted. I believe some websites have the ability to lock files into the TIF folder. Using WinXP Pro, even signed under another user and use custom folder option in CCleaner, it does not delete the file(s). All but a small number of files in the TIF are being deleted ok. Please advise a remedy if known. Many thanks!

If they can't be deleted by CCleaner, they will be flagged for deletion upon reboot. There are not supposed to be "locked" files in TIFs except index.dat. Websites do not have the ability to change this. An ActiveX control or a trojan, however, might... which would mean that you're infected, but generally, none of the above is accurate. Try rebooting.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Well, seems that you may be right. Antivirus pgm didn't catch it, but on-line scan with MicroTrend did. The result was TROJ BDI.DR which is a backdoor pgm and shows as not cleanable. Recommended was to delete the folder c:\windows\iNetPal. I did, then ran chkdsk /f, then regcleaner then a defrag. However, the files are still in the TIF folder. If using windows to delete, it says cannot find file; ensure pathname etc..is correct. CClean doesn't give a reason why it can't. It does keep showing up when analyzed but doesn't delete it even upon reboot. I tried Evidence Eliminator to delete the folder and got this in the log:

Error: subEliminatePathWithMask dropped DIR: C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS\adproxy%3faction=getAd&u=1322462419&m=wma&a=1,30&f=396500046&r=28&b=4B45D007FC7B842b1d27b&at=content%3D%22653%22+topic%3D%22%22&eg=ZIDDAKP13_IoKBr6H7CwRA&sg=1118949942&p1=1&p[1].asx

Eliminating folder C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS <SKIPPED LOCKED FOLDER><OK>

If I could find a way to unlock the folder, or the use of a DOS command in WinXP, that would be great, I hope. Any further help in eliminating files like this in the TIF folder would be greatly apprecited. Thank you.

Well, seems that you may be right. Antivirus pgm didn't catch it, but on-line scan with MicroTrend did. The result was TROJ BDI.DR which is a backdoor pgm and shows as not cleanable. Recommended was to delete the folder c:\windows\iNetPal. I did, then ran chkdsk /f, then regcleaner then a defrag. However, the files are still in the TIF folder. If using windows to delete, it says cannot find file; ensure pathname etc..is correct. CClean doesn't give a reason why it can't. It does keep showing up when analyzed but doesn't delete it even upon reboot. I tried Evidence Eliminator to delete the folder and got this in the log:

Error: subEliminatePathWithMask dropped DIR: C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS\adproxy%3faction=getAd&u=1322462419&m=wma&a=1,30&f=396500046&r=28&b=4B45D007FC7B842b1d27b&at=content%3D%22653%22+topic%3D%22%22&eg=ZIDDAKP13_IoKBr6H7CwRA&sg=1118949942&p1=1&p[1].asx

Eliminating folder C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS <SKIPPED LOCKED FOLDER><OK>

If I could find a way to unlock the folder, or the use of a DOS command in WinXP, that would be great, I hope. Any further help in eliminating files like this in the TIF folder would be greatly apprecited. Thank you.

• Moderators

Perhaps the filename itself is too long. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try to remove any read-only and other attributes it may have, and then try CCleaner, or even Windows Explorer to delete it.

Start a Command Prompt, this will remove any folder attributes (use the quotations just in case they're needed):

attrib -r -h -s -a "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS"

Start a Command Prompt, this will remove any file attributes (use the quotations just in case they're needed):

attrib -r -h -s -a "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS\*.*"

Start a Command Prompt, this will delete any .asx file in that folder (use the quotations just in case they're needed):

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS\*.asx"

Start a Command Prompt, this will delete all files in that folder (use the quotations just in case they're needed):

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LHXEZ9FS\*.*"