Logging into Windows XP

daggerXtreme

Hey everyone!

I use the windows xp classic login page, not the welcome screen. I've been to run-control passwords 2, and I've enabled "users must enter a username and password". However, I only need to enter a password, and the user name is already filled in as daggerXtreme. Therefore, I only need to fill in the password. How do I make it so that I enter BOTH "daggerXtreme" and the password?

Thanks,

daggerXtreme

Hello daggerXtreme,

It's been awhile since I was trying to get rid of it.Try unchecking Fast User Switching.

:) davey

I've unchecked both "Use the Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching". If I uncheck use welcome screen, it automatically disables use Fast user Switching. Both those are unchecked, and run->control userpasswords2, "require to enter username and password" is checked. I'm not really sure what other setting I need to do. Please Help!

Thanks,

Josh

Hey everyone!

I use the windows xp classic login page, not the welcome screen. I've been to run-control passwords 2, and I've enabled "users must enter a username and password". However, I only need to enter a password, and the user name is already filled in as daggerXtreme. Therefore, I only need to fill in the password. How do I make it so that I enter BOTH "daggerXtreme" and the password?

Thanks,

daggerXtreme

daggerXtreme. In order to achieve what you are trying to, do the following:

Click Start

Select Control Panel (for this, I have assumed your control panel is in "Classic View")

Double Click Administrative Tools

Double Click Local Security Policy

From the left hand pane, expand Local Policies, then click on the Security Options folder

From the right hand pane, look for the following option "Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name"

Right Click this option and select Properties, then select Enabled and finally click Ok to apply the changes.

I hope this answers what you are trying to do.

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

You could try Microsoft's TweakUI which allows for some control over autologon in the logon section (I've not played with that function myself so can't say if it will achieve exactly what you're after)

daggerXtreme. In order to achieve what you are trying to, do the following:

Click Start

Select Control Panel (for this, I have assumed your control panel is in "Classic View")

Double Click Administrative Tools

Double Click Local Security Policy

From the left hand pane, expand Local Policies, then click on the Security Options folder

I believe that is only available on WinXP Professional (just in case dagger looks for it and has Home)

You could try Microsoft's TweakUI which allows for some control over autologon in the logon section (I've not played with that function myself so can't say if it will achieve exactly what you're after)
It has an Auto logon function that works for the next session only.

believe that is only available on WinXP Professional (just in case dagger looks for it and has Home)
It is only available in WinXP Pro.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Sorry folks, I should have said that was for Win XP Pro users.

If you are running Win XP Home, then it can be done by tweaking the registry. I will point out that unless you are comfortable in editing your registry, you should perhaps leave this alone, however I have detailed what needs to be done. It is actually quite simple! Here's what to do:

Open up the registry editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Once you are here, there should be REG_DWORD entry called dontdisplaylastusername Right Click this and select Modify. The Value Data field should be shown as a 0, if you change this to a 1, then click Ok to save the change.

Close the registry editor and then restart the computer. The username field at the login prompt should be blank.

Stryker

Hey Stryker

I have windows xp pro, and your tip works perfectly. Thanks!

Now, a new challenge (just something i'm not sure if it is possible). When I press Windows Key + L, it locks the computer. How can I avoid displaying the user name? I don't think it can be done, but if anyone of you know, please help.

daggerXtreme

Hey Stryker

Now, a new challenge (just something i'm not sure if it is possible). When I press Windows Key + L, it locks the computer. How can I avoid displaying the user name? I don't think it can be done, but if anyone of you know, please help.

daggerXtreme

I'm pretty sure it can't be done daggerXtreme.

The only logical reason I can think of is to enable other users of the computer to know who to speak to about getting it unlocked and let them onto it!

Imagine leaving some important unsaved documents running - I know that MS Office has a recovery function in it, however its not always guaranteed to recover everything- and someone didn't know who to ask to unlock, they might just press the power button and restart the computer to allow them to get logged in. Subsequently all your work would be gone!!!

I appreciate that is a highly unlikely scenario in the home environment, as they could take a guess at who the logged in user was, however XP Pro was aimed at the corporate market, with hundreds of users being logged in across various terminals!

Hey Stryker

daggerXtreme

use Resource Hacker to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msgina.dll"

navigate to Dialog-> 1950-> 1033

drag the text labeled "User name" to a random edge of the dialog until it is no longer visable. do the same with the blank text field that was next to it. also drag the "Unable to determine User name information" off the dialog. Click "Compile Script", then File->"Save as" as msgina.dll to somewhere like the desktop, then replace the one in system32\ with this one. always back it up first.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.