How Can You Clean Big Files That Are To Big For Recycle Bin?

DasFox

Hello DasFox,

Have you tried the Include feature as listed under OPTIONS > INCLUDE ?

You will also have to specify what overwrite option you want to use for Secure Deletion.

This is in OPTIONS > SETTINGS.

I and many others would also be interested how this works out for you.

Could you also keep track of how long the Cleaning runs take and what overwrite option you used?

Good Luck,

:) davey

P.S. You will also want to use Piriform's RECUVA program to prove to yourself that everything is working as anticipated. RECUVA itself now has the option to Overwrite files that it has found.

There have been reported "bugs" in the Overwrite feature but I am sure that will be corrected soon.

The current version is RECUVA v1.10.223 at http://www.recuva.com/

Edited by davey

• Moderators

I would strongly recommend that you chose the single overwrite option in CCleaner: recovery is not possible from one overwrite and the size of your files will mean that overwriting, even with one pass, will take some time. Don't be too ambitious, perhaps one at a time until you get some idea of the timescale.

As an easy way of deleting odd files I have set up a folder (called Crap) which is named in the include settings in CCleaner. I just drag files and folders I wish to be deleted into this folder, and good old CC cleans it out for me when it's run. You have to remember to run CC in secure delete mode though as the folder is emptied whatever delete option is chosen.

Rgds.

Ahh yes THANKS, 'Include', sheesh I can't believe I forgot doing this and cleaning it out of a directory. LOL

davey you forgot you have to also pick the 'Advanced' section and 'Custom Files and Folders' :)

So much for being half asleep when asking and not thinking.

Btw I like to do NSA 7 passes... :)

THANKS again guys!

Btw I like to do NSA 7 passes...
I'm impressed DasFox that you need to go to that length to eradicate stuff like that and have a system that does not take ages to complete the task.

You must have a cushy job somewhere in the CIA, FBI or KGB or afraid that your copied MP3s might get leaked to the RIAA :P

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

must be bad is it not better to pay get free as CCleaner is free & better I try keep out of the way of FBI have look at this > http://16systems.com/zero/

=========================

The Great Zero Challenge

There are Currently 0 Challengers

The Challenge Stands

Q. What is this?

A. A challenge to confirm whether or not a professional data recovery firm or any individual(s) or organization(s) can recover data from a hard drive that has been overwritten with zeros once. I used the 32 year-old Unix dd command using /dev/zero as input to overwrite the drive. Three data recover companies were contacted. All three are listed on this page. Two companies declined to review the drive immediately upon hearing the phrase 'dd', the third declined to review the drive after I spoke to second level phone support. Here is their response... paraphrased from a phone conversation:

"According to our Unix team, there is less than a zero percent chance of data recovery after that dd command. The drive itself has been overwritten in a very fundamental manner. However, if for legal reasons you need to demonstrate that an effort is being made to recover some or all of the data, go ahead and send it in and we'll certainly make an effort, but again, from what you've told us, our engineers are certain that we cannot recover data from the drive. We'll email you a quote."

Q. Why are you doing this?

A. Because many people believe that in order to permanently delete data from a modern hard drive that multiple overwrites with random data, mechanical grinding, degaussing and incinerating must be used. They tell others this. Like chaos, it perpetuates itself until everyone believes it. Lots of good, reusable hard drives are ruined in the process.

Q. What exactly is the challenge?

A. You or your company or your organization or your group of researchers can have a crack at the drive. You don't actually have to recover any data to win the challenge, just tell me the name of one (1) of the two (2) files or the name of the one (1) folder that existed in this screen shot before the dd command was executed.

Q. What kind of hard drive is it? How much did it cost? Is it new? Does it work? How did you format it? Why did you buy this drive?

A. Western Digital (WD800JB) 80GB hard drive. I paid roughly $60 USD for the drive. It is new. Yes, it works. I did a default initialization and NTFS format from within Windows XP. It was the smallest and least expensive hard drive I could purchase new. It's also a very plain, common drive.

The Terms were updated on January 16th, 2008. The underlined portions have been added

Q. May I enter the challenge?

A. Sure... here are the terms of the challenge: Send a self-addressed, postage-paid box you pay shipping both ways with packaging material to the address listed below along with a sixty $60 USD deposit United States Postal Service Money Order only and I will mail the drive to you.

When you receive the drive, you have three (3) consecutive days beginning on the day of receipt to analyze the drive. You must return the drive to me immediately on the end of the third day. The drive must be returned in the same condition that you received it in. Photos will be taken before shipment. It will be demonstrably functional before shipment. So, don't break it. If you damage the drive, then your deposit will not be returned. The challenge will last exactly one (1) year and will end immediately should someone win.

THE CHALLENGE BEGAN ON JANUARY 15th 2008.

THE CHALLENGE ENDS ON JANUARY 15th 2009 OR WHENEVER SOMEONE WINS.

You may not write any data to the drive or disassemble the drive. If the challenger is an established data recovery business located in the United States of America (I would need to see Articles of Incorporation, a current business license and one other form of business identification in order to determine that they are indeed a professional, for-profit, established data recovery business) or a National government law enforcement or intelligence agency (NSA, CIA, FBI), then I will allow these type of organizations to disassemble the drive and to keep the drive for thirty (30) consecutive days. Fair enough? If you object to these terms, then don't participate or suggest changes.

Challenges are accepted in the order in which they are received at this address:

Brad Tilley

P.O. Box 356

Blacksburg, VA 24063

Q. How do I win the challenge?

A. You must identify the name of one (1) of the two (2) files or the name of the one (1) folder that existed in this screen shot before the dd command was executed. You do not have to actually recover any data from the drive, but you can if you are able to. You also must publicly disclose in a reproducible manner the method(s) used to win the challenge. Here is the answer to the challenge. It's a TIF screen shot that shows the original contents of the root folder of the drive before the dd command was executed. It's PGP symmetrically encrypted using GnuPG. The key will be released at the end of the challenge or when someone wins. Should someone win, they get to keep the drive. They also will receive $40.00 USD and the title "King (or Queen) of Data Recovery". :rolleyes::rolleyes: