Spybot update

JDPower

They've finally released the new version with the slow startup bugfix:

http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

Spybot-S&D 1.5 has quite a lot of advantages over version 1.4: improved compatibility, more effective detections and new functions. Between all the positive feedback we received, there were also some things that needed to be improved: the immunization sometimes needed to be applied twice before sticking, many users wanted the file shredder back, and it was impossible to remove entries from the user blacklist in the Internet Explorer plugin. But first of all, we apologize for the long starting time of Spybot-S&D 1.5.1 to all users. This item has been fixed now in this new version 1.5.2.

We are convinced that you will work with the best Spybot ever: Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 has all advantages, but no handicaps over all previous versions!

Thanks for that.

I'm wondering if you can install over the previous version? Can't fing any info in the tutorial, or on the site.

If you wanted to do a clean uninstall of S&D here is their tutorial on how to do it. They also mention upgrading in the tutorial. It also includes a reg fix to clean those entries out.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

• Moderators
If you wanted to do a clean uninstall of S&D here is their tutorial on how to do it. They also mention upgrading in the tutorial. It also includes a reg fix to clean those entries out.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

I never checked the "Uninstall" option, so thanks for that, useful to know if I ever want to bin it, or do a clean reinstall.

The "update" option was no help, as after reading the tutorial, I tried it a few times from within the program, and all it did was check the definitions database.

I never checked the "Uninstall" option, so thanks for that, useful to know if I ever want to bin it, or do a clean reinstall.

The "update" option was no help, as after reading the tutorial, I tried it a few times from within the program, and all it did was check the definitions database.

I think when they discuss the update option they mean to use the clean uninstall instructions than just install the new version after you uninstall.

Thanks for the heads up. I had just finished upgrading to the 1.5.1 two days ago, and thought it was my system that was causing the slow startup.

No problems with the new version. I did a clean uninstall with the reg file. Its now faster to install, to start and to scan. A major improvement.

Cheers

It hasn't been sent out via Spybots update function yet, just download it and install over the previous version (or wait till it is sent out via update)