ikernel.exe

larry39

I am trying to uninstall a Sony application called ImageStation. It's no longer supported by Sony and I never used it anyway. But I get "Error installing ikernel.exe(0x10000) when I try to uninstall it. I get this error if I use the control panel or the uninstaller in CCleaner. A forum search on ikernel did not yield any results. A google search wasn't any help either as most of the hits were for other cleaners. Anyone know how to fix this?

I was logged on as administrator, but I tried the 4 fixes on the install shield but they didn't work.

The microsoft web page mentions the possiblity of corrupted or missing stdole32.tlb, stdole2.tlb or stdole.tlb files in the

Windows\system32 direcory. My system only shows the stdole.tlb file. Microsoft gives directions on how to extract these files from the xp disk. Problem is, my Sony system was preloaded with XP and I don't have a dedicated xp disk, just system recovery and application recovery disks. I tried reinstalling the image station program and then trying again to uninstall it. No luck there either.

I'm not too concerned about not being able to uninstall image statation as it's not a very big application. But will this be a problem on all installs?

I'm not too concerned about not being able to uninstall image statation as it's not a very big application. But will this be a problem on all installs?

It may be for other applications using the InstallShield Engine. I suggest copying the files from another computer running the same operating system to your System32 folder.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an FYI update in case anyone is wondering if replacement of the stdole files corrected the problem. Un fortunately, it did not.

Rather than pursue it any further, I deleted the program manually and did a cleanup with CCleaner. Ikernel must only be used with certain software as I have since installed and uninstalled other software without this problem showing up.