Google and Site Promotion

Capman

Considering how often google visits these forums, does that mean if someone included their website in their signature, that it would result in google visiting their website?

Seems to me that this could be a good way of promoting a website to the search engines, only reason I ask is that I have never had any success in promoting my websites, I sometimes think it could be because they are hosted for free on Geocities, but then other people with sites on Geocities manage to get them listed.

Taruns site appears very high in the google listings, just by typing in lunarsoft, and djlizard appears at the top, has this always been the way tarun and dj, or has your sig in forums helped.

Geocities is a very crappy webhotell, with banners and scripts inserted to your page and very very limited bandwidth.

If you look around, you will find many better free webhotells.

If your site got a good content, it will spread via the mouth-to-mouth method.

You can also message your friends and tell them about your website, and if it's good maybe they will tell their friends.

You can also submit it to search engines, so they start index it.

You can also use meta-tags on your site.

You can set the website in the homepage field in your forum profile.

Advertising/mentioning your site when it is relevant is okay, spamming is not.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Considering how often google visits these forums, does that mean if someone included their website in their signature, that it would result in google visiting their website?

Seems to me that this could be a good way of promoting a website to the search engines, only reason I ask is that I have never had any success in promoting my websites, I sometimes think it could be because they are hosted for free on Geocities, but then other people with sites on Geocities manage to get them listed.

Taruns site appears very high in the google listings, just by typing in lunarsoft, and djlizard appears at the top, has this always been the way tarun and dj, or has your sig in forums helped.

If you're interested in getting some very affordable web hosting I can get you in contact with my webhost. :)

Geocities is a very crappy webhotell, with banners and scripts inserted to your page and very very limited bandwidth.

If you look around, you will find many better free webhotells.

If your site got a good content, it will spread via the mouth-to-mouth method.

You can also message your friends and tell them about your website, and if it's good maybe they will tell their friends.

You can also submit it to search engines, so they start index it.

You can also use meta-tags on your site.

You can set the website in the homepage field in your forum profile.

Advertising/mentioning your site when it is relevant is okay, spamming is not.

I agree Geocities is crap, although it does not have banners, it has an ad square in the top right corner, which can be closed.

I agree bandwidth is a problem, my main site cannot even be viewed completely twice in an hour because it has quite a few pages, thus exceeding bandwidth.

My site's have spread by word of mouth and nothing else as of yet.

I have submitted them to search engines but with no luck as of yet.

Meta-tags are already included.

I would never spam because I prefer the honest approach.

I regard creating websites as a hobby, and as a means of spreading information, and will be the first to admit they will never look as good as a professional website, but I am semi-happy with them considering I do not even work in the I.T. sector.

Tarun,

I have had a look at your webhost after seeing you mention a special deal a while back, I have also looked at various UK webhosts, I just cant make my mind up who is best yet.

Thanks anyway.

CaP: Simply putting 'www.whatever.abc' in your signature on forums really ramps up the hits.

I will do it Dj, when I get a proper name registered and proper hosting sorted out, being on geocities means I have to be a bit careful at the moment.

Look here too its free and quite good.

http://ugtech.net/free.php

I have looked here as well rridgely, we have a similar one at www.heartinternet.co.uk

It gets to the stage where I think my mind is made up then I read something bad about them in a forum and start all over again. :(

P.S. Tarun, dont do the "for the love of god" bit on me

optichosts

What sort of package are you looking into?

I have looked here as well rridgely, we have a similar one at www.heartinternet.co.uk

It gets to the stage where I think my mind is made up then I read something bad about them in a forum and start all over again. :(

P.S. Tarun, dont do the "for the love of god" bit on me

lol, you're fine. Just gotta teach you about the multiquote trick. ^^

I find it all a bit bewildering really, (the webhosting that is not the multi quote bit).

I want to keep it cheap, as I dont make money from the sites, 100mb storage is ample, but I would not want the bandwidth to get exceeded, as I think that would make the sites look really unprofessional.

I only have three up and running at the moment, the fourth has been in the making for about eight months now and looks like never getting finished.

Nothing gets done on any of them lately, I find it more appealing to come here instead, even when I am at work I manage to sneak the odd post in every so often.

I find it all a bit bewildering really, (the webhosting that is not the multi quote bit).

I want to keep it cheap, as I dont make money from the sites, 100mb storage is ample, but I would not want the bandwidth to get exceeded, as I think that would make the sites look really unprofessional.

I only have three up and running at the moment, the fourth has been in the making for about eight months now and looks like never getting finished.

Nothing gets done on any of them lately, I find it more appealing to come here instead, even when I am at work I manage to sneak the odd post in every so often.

5000 MB Transfer

100 MB Storage

cPanel

$2.95 a month.

You can also get things to help you create some really nice looking websites. Things like PHP-Nuke, CPG-Nuke/Dragonfly, and many more.

• Fantastico is also there in cPanel which offers the following:

Navigation

• Fantastico Home

• Control Panel Home

Blogs

• b2evolution

• Nucleus

• pMachine Free

• WordPress

Content Management

• Drupal

• Geeklog

• Mambo Open Source

• PHP-Nuke

• phpWCMS

• phpWebSite

• Post-Nuke

• Siteframe

• Typo3

• Xoops

Customer Relationship

• Crafty Syntax Live Help

• Help Center Live

• osTicket

• PHP Support Tickets

• Support Logic Helpdesk

• Support Services Manager

Discussion Boards

• phpBB2

• SMF

E-Commerce

• CubeCart

• OS Commerce

• Zen Cart

F.A.Q.

• FAQMasterFlex

Guestbooks

• ViPER Guestbook

Image Galleries

• 4Images Gallery

• Coppermine Photo Gallery

• Gallery

Mailing Lists

• PHPlist

Polls and Surveys

• Advanced Poll

• phpESP

• PHPSurveyor

Project Management

• dotProject

• PHProjekt

Site Builders

• Templates Express

Wiki

• TikiWiki

• PhpWiki

Other Scripts

• Dew-NewPHPLinks

• Moodle

• Noahs Classifieds

• Open-Realty

• phpAdsNew

• PHPauction

• phpCOIN

• phpFormGenerator

• WebCalendar

Extras

• Language

• Side menu appearance

• Email notifications

• Installations overview

I am even more bewildered now, that seems an impressive list of stuff, most of which I dont understand.

I must admit their pricing is amazingly cheap, no company in the UK even comes close.

I did visit their site again about 30mins ago, and am very tempted, just wary of hosting with an american company, if I had problems it could cost me a fortune to get them sorted, unless, that is, problems are rare, and you guys could help me.

$2.95 per month would only be ?20 per year, that is good.

Have you been with them long? Any Problems?

I am even more bewildered now, that seems an impressive list of stuff, most of which I dont understand.

I must admit their pricing is amazingly cheap, no company in the UK even comes close.

I did visit their site again about 30mins ago, and am very tempted, just wary of hosting with an american company, if I had problems it could cost me a fortune to get them sorted, unless, that is, problems are rare, and you guys could help me.

$2.95 per month would only be ?20 per year, that is good.

Have you been with them long? Any Problems?

May 25, 2005. No problems at all. Anything minor that occured was cause of me, and I was able to fix it.

I was assisted in getting my database and such moved from Locias.com which had wiped my database a few times (very painful), and even locked me out of my own folders. Yet I was the "President" of the company. Interestingly enough, I was told I was hacked yet to this date I have never seen proof. Apparently someone exploited Coppermine, uploaded a file that ran a cron job and caused a DDoS.

I've never been more pleased with OpticHosts. The uptime is the best I've seen. Pages load 75% faster than when I was on locias.com.

IM him on AIM, screenname: OHSupportJay

You can also e-mail him at: jay [at] optichosts [dot] com

Or you can PM him on Lunarsoft.

Haha, how's that for options? :D