Ideal Wireless AP / Router / SSL VPN / Gigabit Switch

Caldor

Hi friends,

So Ive spent a frustrating day after my wife was having problems with her MacBook pro wireless on our home access point. Turns out its an Apple bug (I really do hate Macs they should have left BSD alone), but in the doing Ive realised my home network needs uograding....

So here is my wishlist:

Gigabit wan port

Gigabit lan ports (8 would be ideal as then I dont need an unmanaged switch plus jumbo frames support)

SPI Firewall, DOS/DDOS prevention (deep application inspections would be ideal too)

SSL VPN passthrough or SSL VPN support

PPPOE, ability to do RFC bridging for modem (ideal would be an inbuilt adsl2+ anex M modem)

Proper logging

Support for wireless repeating and bridging

Good WPA2 with no performance loss (ideal would also be 802.x ontop of it)

MAC level wifi restrictions

Draft N 2.0 wifi (dual band ideal)

Optional support for 3G fail over instead of loosing my voip if the isp goes down

VOIP support - (ideal would be two analog phone ports and an fxo port just in case)

Dont mind spending a bit of dollars for proper gear but dont want to have to afford a gigabit watchguard firebox :)

Maybe Ill need more than one box thats always a hassle, and a seperate ATA for voip

Ideas?

I don't know much about mac but after looking through your wishlist i would go with 802.x because it seems likely to be the problem.Another thing you should know about network stuff is they don't get a lot of upgrade, only upgrade the one you sure is causing the problem. May be it not the network thing but some glitches that need to be update.

Friend of mine suggested a software solution such as IPCop, Smoothwall or similar. Matched to a semi managed 8 port switch like the Linksys which has a good price that might be the go. Any comments on this approach? Having a look around it looks like Endian is the go for a software approach. Two intel gigabit pci express nics and my old AMD 64 system would do fine.