Coupla Free Apps

Humpty

Thanks Humpty. Don't need Snagit but have downloaded Camtasia, might come in handy in future :)

Just had a quick play with Camtasia and I'm pretty impressed. Works well and very easy to use - I'd created a basic test video within a couple of minutes of starting it up for the first time.

From the website

SnagIt version 7.2.5 is suitable for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (I have not tried it on Windows Vista).

Just to let potential Vista users know version 8 of snagit doesn't work properly with Vista, it is highly unlikely version 7.2.5 will either.

However, the last free version of Faststone capture does work well on Vista...

From the website

Just to let potential Vista users know version 8 of snagit doesn't work properly with Vista, it is highly unlikely version 7.2.5 will either

The free version of Camtasia they're offering is not Vista compatible either.

How does Snagit compare to Fastone Screen Capture and MW Snap which are the two I use now.

I didn't see your post earlier. I can only comment on sngit8 and the last free version of faststone.

I found both work equally as well, but snagit had more features and I could integrate it into my browser using a firefox extension. Snagit has a good range of picture editing gadgets at its disposal, allowing you to edit, crop, overlay text etc. Features that I would have to use paintshop pro to do otherwise.

I suppose you are paying for a little bit more refinment and class with snagit.

Having said all that I now use faststone, it does the job and I can easily launch it from the quick lauch short cut.

One minor point about faststone that effected firefox, but not IE. For some reason the default scroll refresh time was set too quick, and caused any text captured by scrolling window to distort. To solve this I set the scroll time to 300 milliseconds. Works fine now.

Another plus point to faststone is its size...just over 1mb for the portable version.

I would recommend both, I just went for the cheaper option ;)