CDA files?

mpossoff

Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving to those that live the USA.

I have a question. First there is something wrong with my cd drive at home so I'm not able to play cd's currently. I wanted to download some cd's so I did it at work. Saved them and sent an email to myself with attachements.

At home on my pc I can't even play them, but at work I'm able to open them and play them.

The files are cda files. I want to download the cd's to my iPod. For some reason I can't. Is it possilbe I need to convert the cda's to another format so I can download them to iTunes and then to my iPod?

Need some help.

Marc

Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving to those that live the USA.

I have a question. First there is something wrong with my cd drive at home so I'm not able to play cd's currently. I wanted to download some cd's so I did it at work. Saved them and sent an email to myself with attachements.

At home on my pc I can't even play them, but at work I'm able to open them and play them.

The files are cda files. I want to download the cd's to my iPod. For some reason I can't. Is it possilbe I need to convert the cda's to another format so I can download them to iTunes and then to my iPod?

Need some help.

Marc

A "cda" file is not really a file type at all -- it's simply a designation (pointer) that Windows uses to identity audio tracks on CDs. It cannot be copied to a harddrive or emailed -- it must be read and subsequently ripped (in some other format) directly from the CD-ROM.

A "cda" file is not really a file type at all -- it's simply a designation (pointer) that Windows uses to identity audio tracks on CDs. It cannot be copied to a harddrive or emailed -- it must be read and subsequently ripped (in some other format) directly from the CD-ROM.

Hi Tom,

How do I rip a cd into an mp3 format?

Marc

• Moderators
Hi Tom,

Marc

The free way:

• Windows Media Player 10 or newer (includes FhG Pro ACM encoder)

• BonkEnc (includes the LAME encoder)

• Exact Audio Copy

• CDex (includes the LAME encoder)

...etc.

Note with Exact Audio Copy you may need to download LAME, then unzip either the DLL or EXE into the folder where you installed Exact Audio Copy.

The free way:
  • Windows Media Player 10 or newer (includes FhG Pro ACM encoder)

• BonkEnc (includes the LAME encoder)

• Exact Audio Copy

• CDex (includes the LAME encoder)

...etc.

Andavari, have you found any of these free rippers have the ability to retain the track marks when ripping an entire CD as a wave file -- or do you have to input them manually -- or use a cue sheet?

• Moderators
Andavari, have you found any of these free rippers have the ability to retain the track marks when ripping an entire CD as a wave file -- or do you have to input them manually -- or use a cue sheet?

I don't know what you mean by track marks.

With Exact Audio Copy when you copy to an image (the IMG/CUE button) it rips the tracks to wav, and includes a CUE sheet to re-create an identical disc - that is if you burn the disc with Exact Audio Copy which has a built in audio CD burner.

Hi Tom,

Marc

You mentioned you were trying to rip songs off of CDs into your iTunes. Just insert the CD in the drive with iTunes open, wait a moment and iTunes will ask if you want to import the disk. Click "yes" and the entire disk will be imported or click "no" and then you can put a check mark next to each individual track on the disk that you want to import and then click the "import" button. By default iTunes will import these as AAC files. If you want MP3 files then in iTunes click "edit" then "preferences" then "advanced" then "importing" and then click the arrow by "import using" and then click "MP3 encoder" and then click "ok" and then import the CD.

You mentioned you were trying to rip songs off of CDs into your iTunes. Just insert the CD in the drive with iTunes open, wait a moment and iTunes will ask if you want to import the disk. Click "yes" and the entire disk will be imported or click "no" and then you can put a check mark next to each individual track on the disk that you want to import and then click the "import" button. By default iTunes will import these as AAC files. If you want MP3 files then in iTunes click "edit" then "preferences" then "advanced" then "importing" and then click the arrow by "import using" and then click "MP3 encoder" and then click "ok" and then import the CD.

Hi David. The problem I have is my cd drive is not working therefore I'm not able to insert a cd at my home pc. So for now I have to do this at work.

What I want to do is to save the cd's as a mp3 file to my desk top at work. Then send the mp3 file to my email address at home. Then when I get home I can use my iPod and iTunes and therefore download the mp3's.

My iPod is not configured at my work pc so I don't want to mess with it there.

So what steps do I need to do? I thought that I did but the files were cds files.

Marc

Hi David. The problem I have is my cd drive is not working therefore I'm not able to insert a cd at my home pc. So for now I have to do this at work.

What I want to do is to save the cd's as a mp3 file to my desk top at work. Then send the mp3 file to my email address at home. Then when I get home I can use my iPod and iTunes and therefore download the mp3's.

My iPod is not configured at my work pc so I don't want to mess with it there.

So what steps do I need to do? I thought that I did but the files were cds files.

Marc

Ah, now I see. I'd do like Andavari suggested then. I bet your computer at work has Windows Media Player on it, if not you can download it off the Microsoft website. You can use to rip songs off of CDs into MP3 format. Make sure you have either version 10 or 11 though, they have built in MP3 encoders. And then I'd also do like Andavari suggested and go buy yourself a new CD/DVD burner. Andavari always has the answers!!