Repeat Registry Cleaner

NoviceDave

When I run the Registry part of CCleaner, it comes up with several errors. So I choose to fix those errors, which CCleaner does. Then, I click on "Scan for Issues" again, and it finds still more. Sometimes I have to repeat the process several times. Why? Why is it not getting all of the errors on the first sweep?

Thanks,

David

Does this happen every time? Sometimes deleting invalid entries from the registry, can generate more invalid entries.

Yes, it happens ever time. Though I haven't kept track to see if it is the same entries over and over again. I suspect not, but I will start to pay attention and report back. I guess this has not been your experience? Have you not ran the sweep twice in a roll to see if all of the problems were (or were not) fixed on the first pass?

Thanks,

Dave

I guess this has not been your experience? Have you not ran the sweep twice in a roll to see if all of the problems were (or were not) fixed on the first pass?

I remember having this type of thing, but in my case it's have been very, very rare. I don't remember that did i got this "issue" with CCleaner, though. Btw, are those entries on second scan same entries or completely new entries?

Also, does it make any difference if you select "Fix issue" or "Fix all selected issues" on confirm box?

I've seen this behaviour on all systems that I've run CCleaner on... I don't believe its odd or unusual and I also believe that is simply caused when you remove invalid reference entries that other registry keys that used those then also become invalid.

Basic simplified example...

Registry key A has invalid entries in it pointing to now none existant registry keys, values or files etc...

Registry key B has references to registry key A but since A currently exists... they are not yet invalid.

You remove registry key A to resolve the issues it brings... now registry key B has references to a reg key that no longer exists... therefore it is now also invalid.

I've seldom have to repeat my registry scans more than 3 times to get all issues resolved... at least not yet...

I've seen this behaviour on all systems that I've run CCleaner on... I don't believe its odd or unusual

Same here, quite normal to take a 2 or 3 runs if there's alot of entries. Only really a problem if running it several times doesn't clear them all or if the exact same entries are showing every time.