Screen resolution query

Robbie

Hi all

I've just bought a 19" widescreen LCD monitor which, according to the spec sheet, is WXGA+ 1440 x 900 screen resolution. However, my computer doesn't allow me to set this resolution, the closest I can get to it is either 1280x768 or 1280x1024. The latter makes the display look terrible, the former (1280x768) isn't too bad, though of course it isn't the optimum and therefore I'm not getting the best display I can get. How much difference is there in the ratio between the optimum screen resolution of 1440x900 and my setting of 1280x768? I can live with the display but would prefer to have the optimised resolution.

Also, I currently have integrated graphics which is VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP (it may be KM400?). How easy would it be to upgrade to a proper graphics card, to obtain the correct resolution setting, or is that not possible? I'm not that clued up on integrated graphics / graphics cards - I don't even know what one looks like, let alone how to install it! I assume it's not just like a memory card, or is it? The driver is as up to date as it will ever get as VIA appear to have abandoned updates for this driver, the last being in March 2005.

Any advice welcome!

Fixed pixel displays have a native resolution and anything other than that will look blurry. Either upgrade your video drivers (assuming the graphics is up to snuff and you just have a poor default driver) or get a real video card.

If your new monitor has a DVI input connection, its worth while getting a video card with a DVI output connection, so your wide screen monitor can accept a digital signal ;)