Desktop files are showing without their picture

Brenda2007

They just showing a blue square. Here is a screenshot of what I mean. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance:

post-16097-1192190074_thumb.jpg

post-16097-1192190074_thumb.jpg

Brenda

Mom of 4: Chris 17, Mikayla 11, JJ 6, and Elias 23 months

LOVES Piriform Forums more than her husband

• Moderators

Usually icons go to the generic program icon blue/white like that when the associated program no longer exists.

Just an assumption; with that many dead icons I'd almost think an anti-malware (antivirus, antispyware) program had just cleaned a bunch of rogue programs off your system, or allot of stuff hasn't been uninstalled correctly.

If they're dead links to no longer existing programs CCleaner can and will auto-magically remove them.

Oh ok so it's not a big deal if they are still working I'm assuming. They are still working as far as I know.

Thanks so much! You guys are my new husbands..lol (Big shot Comcast guy who knows nothing!)

Brenda

Mom of 4: Chris 17, Mikayla 11, JJ 6, and Elias 23 months

LOVES Piriform Forums more than her husband

• Moderators

The only other thing I can think of (here comes some tedious crap that will take you forever):

1. Right click each icon, select the Shortcut tab, then copy (CTRL+C) the Target path that's listed, then click Change Icon.

2. In Change Icon: Paste (CTRL+V) the path, if an icon is listed in the main program it will be the first icon shown at the top-most left.

If no program icon is available you can instead use some extra Windows icons by replacing the Paste operation in #2 with:

"%windir%\system32\shell32.dll"

-or-

Find some freeware replacement icons at:

* Iconaholic

* WinCustomize (misc icons pages)