Problem with install of latest version 2.01.507

vahdad

O.K.! I have downloaded, and saved each version of CCleaner from 1.3 straight on up through todays update of 2.01.507. I have never had a problem installing any of these programs, until today.

Today, I downloaded the file from FileHippo, clicked the launch, selected English, agreed to the terms, agreed to the options checked, agreed to the location for the program, and the installation immediately failed! I tried downloading from the alternate download site; same problem. I tried running the install from FileHippo and from the alternate (not saving the file first); same problem. The failure comes back as an immediate: Cannot write C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe - Abort, Retry, Ignore? with a highlight around the abort. Hitting retry or ignore flashes the exact same message back on the screen again. Hitting abort shuts down the installer. I re-installed Version 2.00.500, and it works flawlessly....which is in itself a mystery because the newer version is supposed to be a fix for the older version.....?????

O.K., some background on this machine - this is my six year old daughter's laptop. PIII, 1.1Ghz, W2K Pro, all updates and patches and service packs applied; 512 MB, 40 GB C:, 300 GB D:, E: is a DVD ROM, F: is a DVD writer/RAM drive. According to Defraggler, there are about 20 files with 2 or 3 fragments each across the entire 340 GB of drive space (I use CCleaner and Defraggler all the time to keep this old dog up to speed for the reading, spelling, math, etc. my daughter does on it).

My machine is a custom built, dual P4 @ 3.3 Ghz; 4GB Ram, 3+ TB hard drive space in RAID 0+1 config, 3 DVD writer/RAM combinations, 2 Blu-Ray Reader/Writer, Win XP Pro. I am using version 2.00.500 of CCleaner on this one, and have yet to attempt to download the newer version, especially after these problems that I'm having on the "guinea pig" machine.

Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Other than this minor setback, I have found all three Piriform products to be excellent products, and have donated through PayPal after test-driving each of them.

* Make sure the installer isn't named CCleaner.exe, if it is rename it to something else like: ccsetup130.exe

* Make sure you already have installed the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files.

Note:

Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files are freeware, and are required to run many programs including CCleaner. If they are already installed they may be messed up and may need to be reinstalled.

Please restart Windows after installing them, regardless of your Windows OS version.

* Exit running programs that may interfere.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

If it isn't a naming problem of the downloaded file, you may try uninstalling CCleaner, then doing a clean install of the newest version.

* Make sure the installer isn't named CCleaner.exe, if it is rename it to something else like: ccsetup130.exe

* Make sure you already have installed the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files.

Note:

Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files are freeware, and are required to run many programs including CCleaner. If they are already installed they may be messed up and may need to be reinstalled.

Please restart Windows after installing them, regardless of your Windows OS version.

A simple link to that original pinned post would have sufficed, that's what the pinned posts are for:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=5739

Note:

The installer is named ccsetup201.exe and is the default name for the installer.

As I indicated in my first post, all patches and updates have been applied, and all previous versions of CCleaner worked flawlessly. (Which means MVBR files are installed, up, and running.) I should have made clear that when I install a newer version of a program, unless specifically instructed not to, I always uninstall the older one first, then install the newer one. And in this case, uninstall the newer one, and reinstall the older one to get CCleaner working again (2.00.500). I am still at a loss, but as luck would have it, there is nothing wrong with my copy of 2.00.500...I was simply upgrading because I always upgrade each version of CCleaner to take advantage of the speed enhancements that seem to be built in to each progressive build. 2.00.500 scans 340 GB of disk space, plus the registry etc., on this laptop in under 3 seconds. My custom system, with it's dual processors, and infinitely greater storage...between 1.3 and 3.2 seconds, depending on how heavily I've been using the system since I last cleaned it. If I cannot resolve the issue with 2.01.507, I will simply hold at this version...it's working plenty fast enough for me...and more than fast enough for my first-grader!

Thanks for the suggestions.

If it isn't a naming problem of the downloaded file, you may try uninstalling CCleaner, then doing a clean install of the newest version.

A simple link to that original pinned post would have sufficed, that's what the pinned posts are for:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=5739

I should tell you that I have chanced it and downloaded 2.01.057 onto my machine and it installed and is working flawlessly! The installation bug for my daughters' laptop must have to do with Win2KPro...so she'll have to stick to 2.00.500 and I'll have to keep closing the pop-up that comes up reminding me that "there is a newer version (2.01.057) available for download...click here to go get it!"

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!