Update opens IE instead of FF

drjaycee

On clicking "check for update" IE opens up though Firefox is/has been the default browser for the past couple of years.Previously had no problem with CCleaner in the past. First noticed in the last update when both IE and FF used to open ,but since last upgrade to v 2.01.507 its IE only. :(

Any help would be welcome.

TIA

XP SP1;FF 2.0.0.7

On clicking "check for update" IE opens up though Firefox is/has been the default browser for the past couple of years.Previously had no problem with CCleaner in the past. First noticed in the last update when both IE and FF used to open ,but since last upgrade to v 2.01.507 its IE only. :(

Any help would be welcome.

TIA

XP SP1;FF 2.0.0.7

I too have noticed exactly the same thing, I thought it was perhaps some setting that was on my PC and, being non-technical, thought I'd best leave things alone.

Perhaps this can be ironed out on the next release?

XP SP2 and Firefox version 2.0.0.7

I've had the same problem (both IE and FF opening).

FF is my default browser, and I have tried running firefox.exe -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser, but I still get FF and IE opening when I click on "check for updates" in CCleaner.

This is only a minor annoyance, but it would be nice to get it fixed.

I'm running WinXP-Home-SP2 and the latest version of CCleaner.

I tried that - now it opens both IE & Firefox! :unsure:

Same things happens to me!

Go to start>run and enter in this:

firefox.exe -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

Tried that, and now it opens in IE6!

Even though I have IE7!!!

Please fix!

Yes - me too! But WORSE. It seems to be very nasty little thing that takes you to a site that LOOKS like CCleaner but IS NOT. This is definitely something the developers need to look at. CCleaner UPDATE HAS BEEN HIJACKED. I would include a screenshot...but somehow it never saved correctly nd I never thought to double check...Ughh! But something IMPORTANT is happening here.... someone needs to take note urgently.

I saw a pop-up that I wasn't expecting when I clicked on "check for updates" a few weeks ago. I closed everything down, and ran various spyware and virus checks. They all found nothing, and I haven't experienced anything similar since then. At the time, I assumed it was a particularly persistent pop-up from a previous site that I must have visited.

Yes - me too! But WORSE. It seems to be very nasty little thing that takes you to a site that LOOKS like CCleaner but IS NOT. This is definitely something the developers need to look at. CCleaner UPDATE HAS BEEN HIJACKED. I would include a screenshot...but somehow it never saved correctly nd I never thought to double check...Ughh! But something IMPORTANT is happening here.... someone needs to take note urgently.

No problem here.The correct site opens in FF.

Have the following running / run on demand:

Avast Home;

Super Antispyware Free;

A-squared free;

Spybot S&D(tea timer on);

Adaware;

Spyware Blaster;

Zone Alarm Firewall.

CW Shredder.

No problem here.The correct site opens in FF.

Have the following running / run on demand:

Avast Home;

Super Antispyware Free;

A-squared free;

Spybot S&D(tea timer on);

Adaware;

Spyware Blaster;

Zone Alarm Firewall.

CW Shredder.

CBSEBE:

Hmmm...I am still not convinced. When the 1.4 update ran it opened Internet explorer and Firefox together (!) and in IE there was a malicious pop-up displayed that (i wish that screenshot saved...!) well...it was unrelated to CCleaner

I have a whole suit of malware software detectors and cleaners - many of the ones you mention (not all) but I even have the original Sygate...which works a treat... and pop-ups and extraneous ads on websites are long a thing of the past for me...but still here was one displayed in IE and I got there thru CCleaner's inbuilt update facility... so I was immediately highly suspicious. I still am. But thank you for taking the time to consider my post. That is all I wanted. Best wishes to all.

CBSEBE:

Hmmm...I am still not convinced. When the 1.4 update ran it opened Internet explorer and Firefox together (!) and in IE there was a malicious pop-up displayed that (i wish that screenshot saved...!) well...it was unrelated to CCleaner

Did you follow all the steps as mentioned in the mozillazine forums:

"File Types edit

(In Windows XP and Windows 2000)

1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).

2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

3. Select Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"

4. Click "Advanced". In the "Edit File Type" window, select "open" and click "Edit"

5. Uncheck "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part).

6. Click OK for that dialog and the next one (afterwards, the "Use DDE" box is still checked but the "DDE Message" box will be cleared, as shown here)

7. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy" (and any other protocols you want to fix)

8. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "Firefox URL"

9. Repeat for Extension: "HTM" (or "HTML") File Type: "Firefox Document" "

Special emphasis on steps 3,7,8 &9.

Mine started opening in FF only, after ALL these Extensions were dealt with.("Use DDE" Unchecked)

Hope that Helps.If not I guess the experts have to come in!