Removing Downloaded Setup EXE file

Bigbob6

:( Just installed version 2 of CCleaner, its excellent by the way, however when i attempted to remove the exe file my computer stated that this file was being used by another person or program I've attempted to show you what's happening with an attachment, (CCleaner.rtf ) for your info.

http://forum.piriform.com/style_images/pir.../attach_add.png

http://forum.piriform.com/style_images/pir.../attach_add.png

I also notice that the previous version also remains and refuses to be removed... can you help? Did I check a box somewhere that should not have been checked?

Ccleaner.rtf

If the executable isnt loaded into memory, can you uninstall it via add/remove programs? If not thats behaviour that sounds alot like a malware infestation.

Dear Caldor,

looked at that location, but not entered. Tried changing name but would not let me, tried changing extension but would not let me.

I have a program called Spybot installed, could that cause this problem?

• Moderators

Don't worry about safe mode Bob, it's just windows without other stuff to bother it being loaded. Sometimes makes it much easier to do things with other services and drivers not being loaded.

If using xp turn off the computer, turn it back on and tap the F8 key until it comes up with the Windows options. Choose safe mode via your arrow keys and then press enter. It will load differently, don't worry.

Then when you get to the desktop try to delete via add and remove again.

When you want to shut down just do it as you normally would, start, turn off computer.

It will restart again as normal, not safe mode.

As for add and remove programs, this is accessed by start> control panel> add or remove, what happened when you tried this in normal mode?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Don't worry about safe mode Bob, it's just windows without other stuff to bother it being loaded. Sometimes makes it much easier to do things with other services and drivers not being loaded.

If using xp turn off the computer, turn it back on and tap the F8 key until it comes up with the Windows options. Choose safe mode via your arrow keys and then press enter. It will load differently, don't worry.

Then when you get to the desktop try to delete via add and remove again.

When you want to shut down just do it as you normally would, start, turn off computer.

It will restart again as normal, not safe mode.

As for add and remove programs, this is accessed by start> control panel> add or remove, what happened when you tried this in normal mode?

Dear Hazelnut,

Chickened out on the safe mode, but interestingly I installed the program called unlocker like you suggested, and low and behold, the unlocker program popped up and said that the program Spybot was keeping it locked!! I instructed it to unlock, closed the program and then was able to delete it, fantastic!! thank you for all your help, its appreciated. I think i might leave ths program on my computer, it is a gem.

• Moderators

Glad you got it sorted Bob. Yes, unlocker is a handy little tool.

Have a stiff lemonade and boot into safe mode so you can see it's not really a scary place, just in case you ever HAVE to do it. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com