Java/Java Script question

Tom AZ

First of all, Java and JavaScript are different things. If you install Java Sun, you can use it with all browsers. You just have to copy Java plugins to browser plugins folder. With Opera you don't have to do that, because Opera recognize Java from registry. Of course with IE you don't have to it either.

Every browser got it's own JavaScript. You can enable/disable JavaScript and Java from browser preferences.

Is Java/JavaScript browser specific, or is it one-size-fits all for any browser type?

What exactly does JavaScript do and what is the function of Java? I'm using Firefox -- do I need both?

What exactly does JavaScript do and what is the function of Java?

Most sites need JavaScript to work correctly. In example, many buttons on the Web site are JavaScript based (i.e. "Top" & "Fast Reply" buttons on this forum). You also need JS for plugins to work correctly. You need Java for Java Applets on the Web site (i.e. some online games are Java based). Java Applets are not so often used, so i keep Java disabled by default.

"I'm using Firefox -- do I need both?"

Well, it's good to keep JS enabled, because it's so often used. Java is not necessary, but also good to have for some things to work. There's no need to keep Java enabled all the time, you can quickly enable it when needed.

• Moderators
I'm using Firefox -- do I need both?

There's a nice little Firefox extension here which makes enabling/disabling nice and easy, and is a visual reminder in the task bar as to which of the two you actually have enabled or disabled at any one time.

Link:

There's a nice little Firefox extension here which makes enabling/disabling nice and easy, and is a visual reminder in the task bar as to which of the two you actually have enabled or disabled at any one time.

Link:

Have you actually used this? If so, do you like it?

Regarding Sun Java (Runtime Environment); make sure that you have the latest version installed, as previous versions may have security flaws. Also, when you install a new version, you have to manually uninstall earlier versions, as the JRE installer doesn't do that.

• Moderators
Have you actually used this? If so, do you like it?

Yes I use it, and yes I like it.

Java Script I keep enabled all the time, because as mentioned above, most sites including this one use Java Script.

Java itself I keep disabled untill I need it.

It's actually very simple to enable/disable Java in Firefox > tools > options > content, but I like this extension because it's a visual reminder that I may have enabled Java, and obviously need to disable it again when done.

Apparently Java isn't something you want permanently enabled when you are surfing the web, and this article can explain better than me why not.

Perhaps one of the most interesting points regarding vulnerabilities in the Java Runtime Environment is the advantage inadvertently provided for attackers to leverage these vulnerabilities. First and foremost are Java Applets, which provide an excellent delivery vehicle for vulnerabilities affecting the Java Runtime Environment. Applets make it easy for exploits targeting JRE's to be delivered via malicious Web sites as "drive-by" attacks. Applets can easily be hidden via an iframe or scaled down in size and placed in an inconspicuous portion of the Web site, making them difficult to notice.

Complete Symantec Article: