Windows blinds

xbrianx

I'm trying to find a dark, preferably black and gray, Windows XP blind. I've seen some nice ones on DeviantART, but I'm not sure how to install them. And, I haven't seen any sites with any either. Has anyone changed their blinds? :P

Most of theme sites include Window Blinds themes, I'm not sure how to use them as i don't have the program,

I imagine its quite easy, search the help files or the windowblinds site.

---

I just use the free way to re-skin XP.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...SP2-Final.shtml

Then you can use any msstyles (Not window blinds themes)

eg: http://themes.belchfire.net/xp-themes.html

put the unzipped files in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Need styles, google: msstyles

fireryone

• Moderators
I just use the free way to re-skin XP.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...SP2-Final.shtml

Then you can use any msstyles (Not window blinds themes)

eg: http://themes.belchfire.net/xp-themes.html

put the unzipped files in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Need styles, google: msstyles

Never bothered with theme changes. Might try this method.

Thanks for the info, and the links.

Never bothered with theme changes. Might try this method.

Thanks for the info, and the links.

Works great, far better than relying on some program to do it. Got to say though I had problems with a couple of the uxtheme patch programs just not working. This one works on every computer I've tried it on though:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...e-Patcher.shtml

Thanks guys. I'll go look for some more on DevaintART again.

As long as you successfully patch the uxtheme file you should be able to install any DeviantArt theme without too much problem ;)

As long as you successfully patch the uxtheme file you should be able to install any DeviantArt theme without too much problem ;)

Oh. I noticed in the description that I'd need the program WindowsBlinds(something like that) to install the blind. So, maybe that'll patch it for me?

Unfortunately WindowBlinds is not freeware, so to use those themes you will have to buy the program.

Otherwise since you haven't invested in the software yet, just try out patching the file first.

fireryone

Otherwise since you haven't invested in the software yet, just try out patching the file first.

And search DeviantArts 'Visual Styles' section (LINK), they will all work with just a patched uxtheme file and be FREE ;)

And search DeviantArts 'Visual Styles' section (LINK), they will all work with just a patched uxtheme file and be FREE ;)

Thanks. I just looked up hot to patch uxtheme, and it looks like too much work me. I'll try to do it another day. :P

Thanks. I just looked up hot to patch uxtheme, and it looks like too much work me. I'll try to do it another day. :P

But you don't need to do it manually. If you download the the Universal UXTheme Patcher (LINK) all you do is open it, click the patch button and restart, thats it.

Okay, so I did the patched the UXtheme. I can't find a decent theme, and the ones I have found won't work. One said make sure all the needed files are where they should be, which is weird since I dragged the whole extracted folder over into the themes folder. And, others wouldn't show up at all. Some say VS and others have WB, whats the difference?

Sorry to keep replying, but I have the style installed and I'm using it now. But, when I open up Photoshop, I can't see which tool I have selected. The box surrounding the tool is too light. And, the same for the words in the right click menu; I want to be able to see which ones I can't select, but they are too light also.

Ok, that means you need to find a different theme :(

I have two that make the "Analyze" Button loose its text :( , so I don't use it.

Keep looking and you should find one that nice and works for you.

fireryone

Some say VS and others have WB, whats the difference?

The VS ones are visual styles, these are the ones that work with a patched uxtheme file. The WB ones will only work if you've bought and installed Windows Blinds.

There are hundreds of visual style themes on deviantart, you will find one that suits you (and works) eventually. Some do occasionly cause strange display issues, as you've just found out, but most are fine ;)

Ok, that means you need to find a different theme :(

I have two that make the "Analyze" Button loose its text :( , so I don't use it.

Keep looking and you should find one that nice and works for you.

Thanks. I actually spent some time last night going through every option and changing the color to see what it effects. I'm pretty sure I have it how I want now. :P

The VS ones are visual styles, these are the ones that work with a patched uxtheme file. The WB ones will only work if you've bought and installed Windows Blinds.

There are hundreds of visual style themes on deviantart, you will find one that suits you (and works) eventually. Some do occasionly cause strange display issues, as you've just found out, but most are fine ;)

Oh. Thanks. Yeah, I think I got everything right now. ;)

• Moderators

Hey JD, and Fireryone.

Gotta thank you again for those tips and links.

But I have to tell you, some of those themes look absolutely amazing until you install them, then your eyes start to do funny things if you look at the screen too long. :blink:

And I can't tell you my daughters comments when I left a particularly colorful one on for her to log onto.

Great fun.

Hey JD, and Fireryone.

Gotta thank you again for those tips and links.

But I have to tell you, some of those themes look absolutely amazing until you install them, then your eyes start to do funny things if you look at the screen too long. :blink:

And I can't tell you my daughters comments when I left a particularly colorful one on for her to log onto.

Great fun.

I agree. My eyes were hurting afterwards, and I don't even know why. :blink: There were ones that looked really good in the previews, but when I installed them, they looked horrible :lol:

Yea I understand, some are overdone.

I usually end up using one of the two extra unknown official themes (No hacking needed) : Royale and Zune

Royale: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...for-WinXP.shtml

Zune: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...une-Theme.shtml

fireryone