My DVD/CD drive

Moinul

Hi all,

My DVD/CD drive is not working. It started happening a couple of days ago. I am not sure how it happened nor do i know how to fix it. Please help me out. My laptop is an Acer TravelMate 2400.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Moinul

• Moderators
My DVD/CD drive is not working.

It's more than likely dead and fixing it probably isn't possible, although you could try to update the firmware from the official manufacturer website and see what happens.

As with all hardware optical drives have a limited life expectancy and will go kaput at some point, much faster depending upon usage, i.e.; digital audio extraction. Fortunately DVD drives are dirt cheap nowadays and you can find many reader/writer drives with allot of bells and whistles for under $50 USD that put drives just released a few years ago to shame.

Oh dear, an Acer...

My 18 month old Acer laptop finally met its maker about 6 months ago.

The first problem was the CD/DVD drive. It could read DVD's but had problems reading CD's. Eventually it didn't even recognise CD's.

Sent the laptop back to Acer with a large list of other problems, and they simply reformated the drive and sent it back...obviously not using the CD drive :angry: It lasted another 2 months before breaking down completely.

The optical drive was the least of my problems. The rules forbid me to go any further. Needless to say I am still hacked off, and a good deal poorer from the whole experience with this company.

• Moderators
Oh dear, an Acer...

Your first problem was actually buying an Acer! I don't know if their quality is improved in this decade, but in the 1990's people in the know would avoid them and it was nearly impossible to go into a store (grocery or shopping centre) and not see some cheap Acer PC at a budget PC low price which always made me think they must suck.

Your first problem was actually buying an Acer! ...I don't know if their quality is improved in this decade, but in the 1990's... which always made me think they must suck.

I dismantled and ditched the bloody thing about 6 months ago.

You are right in everything you say. I have cursed Acer on many other forums, and I will continue to do so.