Duel hard drives, Master & Slave?

breann

Hi, I have these two hard drives: one from a Compaq Presario listed as Generic Disk Type 01 Model IDE Disk Tyep 01 . It is partitioned to 14.90GB and 3.72 GB, and the other one is a Fuji TSU Model MPA3052ATU 4.88 GB.

I would like to know which should be set as the master . :blink: I will be running either Win XP or some form of Linux. I won't be saving large amounts of music, vidios or movies on this machine. I will however have some form of AutoCad. The Processor is AMD Duron ( tm ) 700Mhz.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks, Breann :D

Hi, I have these two hard drives: one from a Compaq Presario listed as Generic Disk Type 01 Model IDE Disk Tyep 01 . It is partitioned to 14.90GB and 3.72 GB, and the other one is a Fuji TSU Model MPA3052ATU 4.88 GB.

I would like to know which should be set as the master . :blink: I will be running either Win XP or some form of Linux. I won't be saving large amounts of music, vidios or movies on this machine. I will however have some form of AutoCad. The Processor is AMD Duron ( tm ) 700Mhz.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks, Breann :D

You should always set the largest hd as the master.

• 3 weeks later...
You should always set the largest hd as the master.

Not sure if I agree with this.

My personal experience is to have the fastest hard drive first, big or small.

Access time is critical for the OS.

Also set you page file to a different drive. This will allow the OS drive to focus on performing the task at hand and not

wasting time on page file data on a different part of the platter.

You could use a program like HDtune to compare the hard drives and their health.

www.hdtune.com

I'd still recommend the bigger one, unless it is listed as 'bad' in hdtune, or doesn't do well in the speed test.

fireryone

i have a question somewhat related to dual hard drives. . . .

how many hard drives can one computer have?

also is there any general information i should know if i want to add more hard drives to my machine. adding a slave drive. precautions words of wisdom etc.