Unneccesary start-up items

xbrianx

This is my own personal view and I am a bit radical.

I would disable everything except for any security apps and if a laptop, any power monitors.

Even then, some apps just re-enable themselves to auto start so a an app is needed like Winpatrol and set those self re-enablers to disabled.

You may want to have a look at turning off some MS services that you won't or don't use.

Elder Geek services guide

This is my own personal view and I am a bit radical.

I would disable everything except for any security apps and if a laptop, any power monitors.

Even then, some apps just re-enable themselves to auto start so a an app is needed like Winpatrol and set those self re-enablers to disabled.

You may want to have a look at turning off some MS services that you won't or don't use.

Elder Geek services guide

Thanks, I'll look for some things that aren't needed. I still have Norton, so there's mostly Norton programs though.

Please - when you put pictures on the internet, use JPEG/JPG, GIF, or PNG format! BMP is uncompressed and is huge! I can hear the server exploding from here :P.

IPB Image

• Moderators
Please - when you put pictures on the internet, use JPEG/JPG, GIF, or PNG format! BMP is uncompressed and is huge! I can hear the server exploding from here :P.

It's also a bad idea to use BMP because some folks are still unfortunately using dial-up.

You may want to give Startuplite a try as that will list any unnecessary items and give you some descriptions on each one to help you decide if you want it starting with Windows or not

http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

You may want to give Startuplite a try as that will list any unnecessary items and give you some descriptions on each one to help you decide if you want it starting with Windows or not

http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

Thanks. I removed both HP software updates and I disabled the Quicktime system tray icon and the DVDLauncher item. There was only 2 or 3 things lef: One was SunJava Update, I left that because I'll forget to check myself. And, there was the CTFMON and Motive Smartbridge, both of which I'm sure I need.

• Moderators
Thanks. I removed both HP software updates and I disabled the Quicktime system tray icon and the DVDLauncher item.

HP Software Updates is useless because it can be manually launched, however HP Digital Imaging Monitor is rather useful to determine how low your ink levels are - although it can be disabled and manually launched on occasion to check the ink level.

HP Software Updates is useless because it can be manually launched, however HP Digital Imaging Monitor is rather useful to determine how low your ink levels are - although it can be disabled and manually launched on occasion to check the ink level.

Yeah, I have already noticed a minor difference in start-up times. And, about the ink.....I'll know when it's low when my picture doesn't come out right. :D That's all the monitoring I need, lol.