Maximum Path length exceeded alternatives

Whoops

I'm recovering an external usb hard drdive that inadventertly was "quick formatted". There is approximately 1 t of data needed reocvery.

When Recuva finishes I get the message when tagging all the files that the "maximum path length exceeded".

I need this data (pic, documents, files) so are there alternatives to change the file names, over-ride the maximum path length, or are you telling me I need to go to a recovery service. Tell me it aint so

What is the destination for the recovered files ?

You are more likely to hit the "maximum path length exceeded" problem when restoring to a long path, e.g.

X:\My First Recovery attempt to a folder with a name that describes what I am thinking and doing\

Much better to use

X:\

or

X:\Y\

• Moderators

I've moved this topic to the recuva forum

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 months later...

I'm adding my 2 cents here. I tried that solution and it doesn't help. Recovering to C:\R\ doesn't work. Not even for just a file that lives in the root folder of the HDD I'm recovering.

Obviously that solution worked for Whoops because he did not need to return for further information.

That is my reasonable assumption which could be wrong - but is doing no one harm.

You have an unreasonable assumption that your situation is identical to that of Whoops,

and that assumption would harm anyone who takes notice of you and fails to attempt a solution that would help them.