Installing CCleaner also installed Google Chrome & killed Norton 360

LudditesLtd

From this website, free version.  (OK - maybe not from this website but highly probably from this website.)

Dell Inspirion One 2305 Win 7 Pro SP1 w/ all necessary updates.  NOT using MSIE, Opera 12.17.

Again, downloading and installing CCleaner 'trojaned' in Google Chrome, which unilaterally decided to make itself my primary browser & which I immediately changed back to Opera. (IMNSHO the only company more evil than Micro$oft is Google & after 36 years of working with computers I hate both with a passion.)

Have only run 'Analyze', have not Recuva'd, Defragged or 'Cleaned' anything yet.  Tried Restoring to several days back & no help. Norton tells me that I now have to completely remove and reinstall Norton.

-> Has anyone else had same or similar problems?  Any pundits here care to explain to me why Google Chrome was forced on me and why just installing CCleaner destroyed my Norton installation?  Remembering Win98 & RegClean with fondness....

In tears as this is NOT how I planned to spend this weekend.....

ad<THX>vance

"We are not blindly against technology, we are against blind technology."

*~*~*

PostScript:

See that I am not the only Windows user having serious problems.  Yes, just after my install of CCleaner - and restoring primary browser status to Opera (which now keeps crashing as does my AMD video > Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!) - I restarted the computer (as that's just good form) ->  and it would not properly boot; and it ended up wanting to fix itself; and that went on for hours -> keeping me up 'til 4am; meaning I only had a few hours sleep; meaning I am not going to cousin's engagement party today 'cause I have to work on this ~ Thanks Ever So Much!!!  Ruin people's lives with half baked software, don't take responsibility, charge folks to talk to you to figure out how to clean up the mess that your software caused ..... FaceBook Kvetch Time....

• Moderators

1 - it's very easy to choose to uncheck google install from within the installer. If you like free software, you have to deal with the monetization of bundled ware. This is not "trojaning" nor is it difficult to remove the Google if you accidentally missed the uncheckable install.

2 - Granting that you got ccleaner from an authorized source (piriform.com or file hippo) there is zero way that only installing ccleaner (or only running analysis) would cause any of the issue you describe. Did you, by chance run any cleaning routines? I'd wager your answer is "yes, I cleaned and used the registry section" but I'll wait for your answer to confirm/deny this.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com