PS3, XBOX 360 Suitable HD Tv's

MacmillaN

Currently i have your standard TV but ive got a Xbox 360 atm and love playing it but i feel im not seeing it to its full potential on the standard tv i have... i am also looking into the PS3 when it comes out in hopes of getting that also... i just would like some recomendations on tv's for the new systems.... i live in the UK so please make note of that....

I've looked at this one

Argos.co.uk

Help is Appreciated

6aoy3pv.jpg

• Moderators

Make sure you get a Widescreen HDTV that supports 1080i. I recommend getting a Sharp or Sanyo TV, they are both excellent tvs. If you want to get the full experience of the PS3, make sure the tv supports HDMI. I have a Sanyo Widescreen HDTV 1080i 26 inch, best tv I have ever owned. Sharp has the best consumer ratings out there, my parents have a Sharp Widescreen HDTV 1080i 46 inch tv.

If you have a lot of HD devices, you may have to get a HD switch box. I have a DVD player, Pioneer surround sound, Directv, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and Playstation 2. I got all but the Directv hooked up in HD. When it comes cables, don't buy cheap. Buy the best ones, all of my cables are the gold plated ones. I have spent 100's just on all the cables.

You will see a huge difference in the 360 with 1080i, I only paid $600 for my tv. You can find good tvs at low prices, but please stay away from the no name brands, you get what you pay for...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

There are different modes of HD. The main ones are 480p, 720p, and 1080i. 1080i is the highest resolution of HD right now. That tv should do just fine, the older plasma tvs use to burn images in the screen and be there perm. I just don't know if they fixed it or not, I have always used LCD for gaming. HDMI is a new component, it's a single plug for HD resolution and audio. Just find out if it's burn free, that tv would be good. Phillips is a good brand, I use a Phillips DVD player.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

There is also 1080p. :D

None of the games out on either system are running over 720p from what I've heard. I just read an interview with I think the people who put out ninja gaiden who said that the systems while powerfull enough to do 1080 the games look better in 720 because they can get better fram rates and textures at that quality. I've seen videos and pics of the ps3 version and it looks amazing.(way better than xbox version, and that was a damn good looking game at the time. But do I really want to play the same game.. IDK.)

I have nice 50in sony that I got at hifi buys.(which I think its called tweeter now..)

I have direct tv hi def service as well and to be honest, the programming just isn't good enough yet. Some channels look awesome(like discovery) but most of the stuff I watch(which isn't much anyway) isn't in hidef yet.

No PS3 yet, so I haven't gotten to try blue ray. :(

• Moderators

I don't know how good philips tvs are, but from the specs that tv would be very nice. :)

I've always bought sony, and samsung tvs. :D

But, just know your not getting the top of the top resolution. 1080p with blue ray is pretty much the best you can get. So if this is the last tv your buying for a while you may want to get a 1080p one. (for watching movies, games its not really going to matter I don't think)

• Moderators

While a little old here is a nice article explaining the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449-6361600-1.html (about the only difference is that the price isn't $1000 dollars higher anymore. :P)

I would point you in the direction of some good deals, but I have no clue what stores you have around you in the UK. :P

1080i the highest? Ah, no, 1080p is, and it's the future. If you want a TV that's "future proof' you'll want one that does 1080p, but they come at a price.

If you want to get a TV that isn't too expenisve, and can do standard HD, just get one that can do a native 1280x720 or 1366x768 resolution (720p).

Incase you didn't know

720p > 1080i

1080p > 720p

http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm