Please Help With CCleaner

teamplus

After running the CCleaner and blindly fixing all issues my xp will not not boot. It will get to the windowsw screen during boot up then just remain with a black screen. I know I saved a backup of the registry during the process of the fix however. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

Forgive me if I am telling you something you already know.

On this computer (Compaq, running WXP up to date), I never see the windows logo on the way to safe mode. I just tried it.

Starting from off (not restart), I press and hold the f8 key immediately after turning the power on. I briefly see the Compaq logo, then a black screen with a lot of choices listed.

If I use the arrow keys to move up to safe mode, then hit enter, then:

1. a bunch of scrolling takes place, this takes a while,

2. I am asked to log in as an account holder (owner), and

3. then. . .this is where it gets interesting. . .a dialog box asks if I want safe mode or system restore.

Try that, I bet if you can get as far as the system restore choice box you can get up and going.

There is a file attached. It has the relevant help files from this computer.

Good luck. Let me know if it works.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 weeks later...
After running the CCleaner and blindly fixing all issues my xp will not not boot. It will get to the windowsw screen during boot up then just remain with a black screen. I know I saved a backup of the registry during the process of the fix however. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

I had the exact same problem as you. Your registry is corrupted. You will have to manually restore from a dos boot disk. There are instructions on how to do this on the web. I did this and was able to get back into windows. I then tried other registry cleaner programs to fix the registry but the same problem would occur. I did notice that the backup that CC saved was alarmingly large (like 4MB). So after manually restoring again, I saved all the data I needed to a second hard drive and them restored my system from scratch. I'm not blaming CCleaner, I still use it on several PC's and have not had any other problems.

Good Luck

Bigwayne