Blank Screen after Windows Loading Screen

LEEnoble

When I boot up my PC, I get the Windows loading screen but when that has finished, instead of being taken to the Windows login screen, my screen just goes blank. Nothing wrong with graphics card or monitor as it still works with my Linux Live CD.

I've ran the SeaTools hard drive test floppy disk, my HD passed that.

I can't boot into safe mode as that stalls while loading (has done for about a year).

I don't know how to get back into Windows.

I don't want to just format has I've alot of docs that are not backed up.

Thanks

CCleaner fan since 2005

picshack.co.uk - free image hosting

Can you use the Live CD to backup these important documents? If so, I'd recommend doing this as things can go more wrong later.

My guess would be that boot section is somewhat corrupted. You could try Windows CD, which provides basic installation repair tools. Boot up with that and see if there is anything to do. And wait for somebody who can help you more =)

• Moderators

If you have a portable drive or 2 cd drives on that computer you should use that live cd to boot your computer and back up your data either to cd or external hd. I know ubuntu can read ntfs and knoppix probably can too.(if you want a smaller distro puppy I belive will as well)

When the computer goes to the blank screen does it do anything else that isn't normal before that?

What was the last thing you were doing before this happened.(registry cleaning, virus cleaning, anything abnormal happen?)

I have a Unbuntu Live CD, 2 DVD RW drives and external drives, so getting hold of the data is not a problem.

Before this happened, I had booted up the PC to check and send a couple of Outlook emails then shut down again to go to work. Got back few hours later and this happened.

After the Windows loading screen nothing happens apart from the screen is just black. I can still hear the hard drives accessing data as usual like the PC is starting up etc.

CCleaner fan since 2005

picshack.co.uk - free image hosting

• Moderators

Normally I would say go to safe mode and run system restore, but that isn't an option.

About the only other thing I can think to try is the recovery console. Do you know how to use it?(I can point you to some links if you don't)