Vista Recycle Bin not emptied

Rich Bell

I have installed the latest version of CCleaner under Vista. It will not delete items in my recycle bin. It is deleting other items like temporary internet files. I am running as a regular user. It prompts me for an Administrator password when I run the program, which I provide. Analyze does not show that it will delete the recycle bin either. Why will it not empty my recycle bin?

I tried using CCleaner when I was logged in as an Administrator and it does empty the recycle bin. Why doesn't it work when I am logged in as a regular user? I prompts for an Admin password when I open or run it. It appears that it requires that a user be an Admin before it works correctly.

• Moderators

Not having vista myself I did a little bit of reading and believe that the change in user rights is a feature of vista. Apparently some things such as the deletion of files require admin rights, so the way you ar running now in vista under user account control means you will need to be admin for this. This is vista's way of trying to prevent security breeches due to malware taking over admin rights.

When you right click on the program folder or shortcut are you offered the option to run as admin?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Not having vista myself I did a little bit of reading and believe that the change in user rights is a feature of vista. Apparently some things such as the deletion of files require admin rights, so the way you ar running now in vista under user account control means you will need to be admin for this. This is vista's way of trying to prevent security breeches due to malware taking over admin rights.

When you right click on the program folder or shortcut are you offered the option to run as admin?

It allows me to run as an administrator but still doesn't delete the files in the recycle bin unless i log in as an administrator. Also, using run as administrator causes it to delete all of the temp files associated with the administrator user account.

It appears that CCleaner will have to be rewritten to prompt for an admin password (which it now does) and then actually perform the tasks that have been requested using the elevated privileges.