Weird Java icon showed up

cowboy357

Just curious it just popped up this morning in lower rh corner. It says( Java TM Platform ),standard edition, Anyone have a clue what it Means or if I should click on it. Thanks Cowboy

• Moderators
Just curious it just popped up this morning in lower rh corner. It says( Java TM Platform ),standard edition, Anyone have a clue what it Means or if I should click on it. Thanks Cowboy

Hi cowboy,

Iv`e had that icon in my system tray for ever. It`s configured to remain hidden while inactive.

When it does pop up it`s usually when I`m looking at music videos, movie trailers or such.

There`s another in my system tray, again configured to remain hidden while inactive, which is the Download Java Update icon.

No worries pal, you can put your guns away. (IMHO)

Regards

Edit: As youv`e only recently sorted Java out, its probably just saying hello.

OK, Thanks TwistedMetal & Dennis. It just kinda made Me wonder if something didn,t get past Me. For some reason its disappeared for now & I haven,t rebooted or anything. Thanks Guy,s. Cowboy

• Moderators
OK, Thanks TwistedMetal & Dennis. It just kinda made Me wonder if something didn,t get past Me. For some reason its disappeared for now & I haven,t rebooted or anything. Thanks Guy,s. Cowboy

Hello again cowboy,

Just found a neat Music & Internet Radio Player that uses the Java Runtime Platform.

It`s called jlGui, (and don`t ask me how that`s pronounced), looks really good, and I`m using it at the moment to listen to Johnny Cash. I have sampled the quality of the Radio side, (demo) and it`s top notch. (IMHO)

Haven`t set up the radio side of it yet, but you can find it at this address.

http://www.javazoom.net/jlgui/jlgui.html

Click through to the download page, and take your pick of the download type. I chose the middle one, saved and then installed, but maybe the Web one might be better. Not sure. Might try that one later.

Let me know what you think. Might as well use that wierd little icon as its just sitting there doing nothing.

Regards

Haven't had java on this drive but I think you can turn off java "check for updates" and show icon in sys tray through it's control panel icon.

Correct:

Control Panel>Java>General tab, untick 'Check for updates automatically'.

Advanced tab>Miscellaneous - untick 'Place Java icon in system tray'