Oscar Nominations

XanaTos112

I just decided to make a topic since the Oscar Nominations came out there around last week,being an avid movie fan i always look forward to the sexy categories - best actor,director,movie - so what does everybody think about the noms?heres a link in case u missed them

http://imdb.com/features/rto/2007/oscars

Best Picture in that list for me wud be The Departed

Best Male Performance wud be Ryan Gosling,Half Nelson and in particular Goslings acting were a huge pleasant surprise.Forest Whitaker will win it though,he also was amazing.

Best Director im hoping goes to Martin Scorsese for The Departed,i havent seen Letters from Iwo Jima yet so i may change my mind since i do really like Eastwoods directing.

and ofc Mark Wahlberg has to win best supporting actor,even though he wasnt in the departed that much,but damn what a performance.

some movies/performances that i thought shud be in wud be :

- Hugh Jackman for best actor for The Fountain.keeps impressing me with his roles

- Christian Bale for Harsh Times.What a snub if i ever saw one!

- replace Little Miss Sunshine/The Queen for The Prestige/Half Nelson/Blood Diamond

Your opinions?or any other categories that shud be discussed?best female role wasnt of interest to me this year

Who watches The Watchmen?

• Moderators

I`m also a great movie fan, but I`m afraid I can`t stand the Oscars. Nor any other award ceremonies for that matter.

A bunch of overpaid, over dressed, ego inflated sycophants, so far up their own backsides :o as to be almost out of sight.

Yes, I love movies. :)

A few of my favourites:

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy:

Read the books years ago. Nice to find movies that are true to the original story.

The Day After Tomorrow:

Hopefully, this one does not turn out to be true.

The Descent:

This is one of the scariest movies I have seen for years. Even on the third viewing, it was still scaring the **** outa me.

Saw:

Not your normal serial killer movie. This guy had one mother of an imagination.

Pirates Of The Caribbean (Curse of the Black Pearl):

Johnny Dep at his best.

Apocalypto:

This is just one amazing movie, made better by not having any of the usual hollywood faces.

Sorry, I seem to have gone a wee bit off the "Oscars" topic, but I love movies, not award ceremonies.

Did I mention Kate Beckinsale in Underworld ? WOW ! :blink:

Regards

hehe seems we might be the only movie fans on this site.i love the oscars,well the main awards @ least,but some of their decisions are embarassing.Crash as best movie instead of brokeback mountain or good night+good luck or any of the other class movies out that year was a crime.

100% agree with ya about kate beckinsale,DAMN!although i still have the memories of one of her earlier movies "Shooting Fish" where she has really short ginger hair and wearing granny clothes which is something im still trying to forget.

i was actually going over my top 10 best movie list in my head last nite,only thought of 4,something like empire strikes back,the 1st LOTR movie,crouching tiger hidden dragon,blade runner,heat,this is spinal tap.

i was gonna go see the fountain last weekend but strangely enough its not being released in ireland,they think it will bomb or something ridiculous like that :(

• Moderators

Watched a good movie on TV earlier today.

Called "The Island on Bird Street"

Made in 1997 about a young lad separated from his father, and hiding out from the Nazis in a Jewish ghetto.

Almost moved me to tears. If you haven`t seen it, watch out for it.

Amazingly, a true story.

Regards

yeah theres a few world war2 movies that wud reduce ya to tears.hope u seen Schindlers List!you shud also check out Downfall,a german movie bout Hitlers last days,its really amazing.or Fateless,which is about some kid in concentration camp.

some movies i watched lately that were quite good :

- An American Werewolf in London,a classic movie.extremely entertaining.

- The Princess Bride.wow i was expecting it to be bad,but its soooo funny.

- A Beautiful Mind.quite a good movie with amazing acting by russell crowe.deserved his oscar.

you should check out Zatoichi,a samurai movie.i think id probably put it in my top15 list.

• Moderators

Schindlers List: Held it together until almost at the end, when the real survivors, accompanied by the actors who played them, were placing stones on his grave. If that don`t stir the emotions, nothing will.

Then again, I cried when Lassie got home. :(

Seen Downfall, but not Fateless. Will put it on my "look out for list".

One war movie I have been tempted to buy, and I`ve stood and looked at it many times in DVD shops, is a movie called Brotherhood.

Brotherhood is the story of two brothers who get caught up in a personal conflict of virtues between themselves, played out in the brutality and very real Korean war. And this film depicts the very real horror of war, with realistic showpieces of utter annhilation and brutal killing. Korean cinema has never really made a huge impact on the world stage, but with efforts like this in the mainstream, Asian cinema deserves a huge step forward.

Take a look here.

Regards

Edit: Will look out for Zatoichi

i got Brotherhood ages ago,still havent got down to watching it.its supposed to be amazing though.there are very few movies that i dont hear about.i got a huge collection.i love Asian cinema,hope u seen Oldboy and Infernal Affairs.

Zatoichi is just so kool,especially the ending which i wont say anything about,you will be just like "WHAT THE f*** LOL".think schindlers list is only movie that brought tear to my eye.crouching tiger, and Munich nearly did.u seen Munich?eric bana was just so amazing in it,some parts in it were just so sad.

or the final scene in 12 Monkeys with bruce willis was pretty sad.a really excellent movie u shud also check out is Junebug.i ignored it for so long thinking it was gonna be average,but was easily one of the best movies of this decade.

Infernal Affairs was another movie that i found quite sad.i was like "please dont end like this!!".

anyway try watch Zatoichi man,id be surprised if u were disappointed.i will check out Brotherhood this week and see if it lives up to the hype.

• Moderators
and ofc Mark Wahlberg has to win best supporting actor,even though he wasnt in the departed that much,but damn what a performance.

I couldn't stand his music he used to do with one exception the music played in the movie Rock Star. His acting is rather good from the three or so movies I've seen him in, so who says musicians can't become good actors.

• Moderators

Xanatos, can`t keep up with you man, but I`ll ""bookmark" all the ones you recommend.

I would have been with Andavari on Vanilla Ice, but some singers do make good movies, so I`ll reserve judgement on that one.

Now I am a big Bruce Willis fan. From his Die Hard days to stuff like 12 Monkeys, The Fifth Element and Hostage.

Also like Eric Bana since I saw him in Chopper.. Poor movie overall, but it`s a true story and I read the book first. Well worth a read. The guy was crazy, but likeable.

Regards

haha i think nearly everybody knows about imdb.com its an amazing site,and extremely helpful.you should check out its "top 250 movies" list,slowly making my way through that.

as for 300,it wont be out in the usa for a few more months,think the release date is april/may.it looks amazing though,and id be surprised if it didnt fulfill its potential.the trailer is class,including the Nine Inch Nail song used.when i saw the trailer i decided to get the graphic novel its based on by Frank Miller,which is really kool.

i watched that new german movie "The Lives of Others" which is really good,and you should check out when you can

• Moderators

Yep, I`m usually last in finding something, but better late than never. :)

It does look a good site however, and some good stills from "300".

Because it was released last year, I thought I may have missed it in my area, but looks like it must just be a bit slow coming out.

Will let you know if anything new comes my way, and will have a look out for "The Lives Of Others".

Regards

two new movies ive watched lately,which i definitely recommend are "Trailer Park Boys - The Big Dirty" and "Near Dark" a 1980s cult vampire movie.

TPB was so funny,just like the tv show.if you havent seen the show your missing out.Near Dark was also pretty kool,and had one classic scene in it in a bar.the main actor in it is Nathan Petrelli from Heroes,was pretty good in it.

my to watch list consists of : Brotherhood, The Science of Sleep, Three Days of the Condor, The New World

• Moderators

Looking out for movies all the time, but because people are downloading movies more and more, I`m finding older ones I haven`t seen pretty hard to come by. :(

All the usual rental stores I`ve used for years are stocking fewer and fewer older titles. They sell them all off, and I`ve never been a fan of scratched DVD`s, so I wouldn`t buy them.

Iv`e thought of P2P, but tried that briefly, and it made me feel very nervous. Kicked it into touch.

Will let you know if I come across anything outstanding.

Regards

just watched the indie movie Candy starring Heath Ledger.was pretty good with some amazing acting.interesting movie about drugs and what it leads to.the movie got great reviews also,so well worth a watch.

also watched Hot Fuzz which i was pretty disappointed with.i wasnt a major fan of Spaced or Shaun of the Dead,but i had high hopes for Hot Fuzz,shame.

since i know dennis will be only person reading this,you checked any of those movies i mentioned yet? :)

• Moderators
since i know dennis will be only person reading this,you checked any of those movies i mentioned yet? :)

I still can`t keep up with ya Xana. :blink:

But, there`s a new rental place just opened near me. It`s a bit different in that it`s open 24hrs.

Completely automated. You get a credit card when you join, that both opens the door, and gets your DVD from a machine in the wall. Card is topped up with credit when you need it.

Another great idea for flushing peoples jobs down the pan. :(

Will see if they have any of the stuff you mention. Promise.

Is hostage the moie with the scary kid that writes burn in blood on the window?

Not sure rridgely. Are you talking about the Bruce Willis "Hostage" movie?

I`ve got an original copy of that, (there`s a contradiction in terms, "Original Copy"), but been a while since I`ve watched it. Can`t remember. ;)

I`ll have to watch it again now.

:)

• Moderators

Yeah, its with bruce willis.

That dude is about to rape the little girl and she stabs him in the face. Then she gets in that "safe room" thing and thats when he writes it.

Its a pretty good movie, but its been a while since I've watched it.