Used CCleaner and now DVD Rom Drive doesn't work

happydog500

• Moderators

I'm not going to say it is or isn't possible because I don't know.

A possible fix with zero gaurantee's it will work:

1. Right click My Computer and select:
    Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager
  2. Tick the + on DVD/CD-ROM Drives
  3. Right click the DVD drive and select Uninstall
  4. Close Device Manager and restart Windows immediately.
  5. Upon restart Windows will attempt to re-detect the DVD drive - now rather it fixes it or not I have no idea.

Another possible fix if the above instructions don't work is to download a firmware update from the device manufacturer. Warning: Only download the firmware from the DVD drive manufacturer website as there are some half-assed hacked and unofficial firmware's on the web that will destroy a drive.

Edit:

Just though of something else, it could be a loose cable or in this case the drive isn't seated fully in the laptop.

Although DVD drives do over time die, depending upon the usage (ripping audio CD's, DVD's) they can last as little as a few months to several years.

I tried the first one and it didn't work. these are very good suggestions, thanks. I will try the next ones in the morning. I'm thinking the drive is toast. It spins up but I get a message saying the drive is empty.

I did get a messge on one of the boot up saying a hardware failer. Also I got one saying a media cable is unplugged.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have a similar issue. "My Computer" is missing the drive entirely and when I go to device manager and click on the drives properties I get the following "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I've tried getting new drivers, I've tried uninstalling and rebooting but nothing seems to work.

I inserted a boot disk and started it up to see what would happen and it attempted to install windows from the drive, so I am very confused. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advnace.

I seem to have a similar issue. "My Computer" is missing the drive entirely and when I go to device manager and click on the drives properties I get the following "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I've tried getting new drivers, I've tried uninstalling and rebooting but nothing seems to work.

I inserted a boot disk and started it up to see what would happen and it attempted to install windows from the drive, so I am very confused. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advnace.

Corrupted or improper filter. I troubleshooted the same problem a few days ago for a neighbor (made $75! woo hoo!)

Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.