Desktop shortcuts

Woody

Hi everyone, sorry for the basic question. I'm using Firefox 2 and I can't seem to create desktop icons for some of my favourite sites. If I drag the URL from the address bar to the desktop it creates an icon, but when I close the browser and click on the icon I'm not directed to the site. I get an error message saying to go to folder options control panel. This has only happened since I switched from Firefox 1.5 to FF2 . Any ideas? I'm sure it's something very simple. :mellow:

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I've just followed what you've done (the first time I've ever tried desktop shortcuts) and they load fine. Do you just left click and hold on the shortcut that you've already created (eg in bookmarks) in FF 2.0 and drag it to the desktop? If so, that's what I did and it worked fine.

• Moderators

Hmm I had never tried making shortcuts that way. Pretty cool. :D

Make sure you have a default browser selected.(in your case firefox)

If you do already have FF set as default then set the default back to IE and then to firefox again.

Or you could try making a shortcut the old way.(rightclick new shortcut, enter address, ect).

If you do already have FF set as default then set the default back to IE and then to firefox again.

Thanks Rridgely, this worked. You've saved my life. I mentioned to my other half last night that I had switched to FF2 but I had this problem and she hit the roof. I didn't know she had such a fruity vocabulary. :D

Now, maybe, peace will reign once more.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Hmm I had never tried making shortcuts that way. Pretty cool. :D

Make sure you have a default browser selected.(in your case firefox)

Or you could try making a shortcut the old way.(rightclick new shortcut, enter address, ect).

I made a few shortcuts for my upload sites like Sendtofile.com. You can then add your own special Icons.