I need a few volunteers

rridgely

• Moderators

Alright I got a pretty good idea!

I have gotten a couple of requests in the past from people that they want the freeware thread to be organized so it will be easier to find what your looking for. Then I got to thinking last night about a good way to do it, and I think I have it. But I need some help.

I'm going to go through the freeware thread and organize it by category but thats a lot of work. So I'm hoping a few people will be willing to help. I will do the first two pages if some people are willing to do the others.(I'm hoping at least 4 other people are willing to volunteer so each one can just do a page)

All you will have to do is post which page your doing here(just so multiple pages aren't being done by multiple people) and then go through that page and organize the software by category. You do not have to do anything other then go through and copy down each program and put them in categories by software type(office, antimalware, ect.) Don't worry about the reviews that the person wrote, I will go through and correct misspellings, errors, ect.(or just change ones that are not so good) Here is an example of what I'm hoping to get:

(these are ones I posted, I will of course redo my pisspoor descriptions)

Office Software

Open Office 2.0

A replacement to ms office and a money saver.

http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

Abiword

The best free word processor around. Deffinately needed by open office users.

http://www.abisource.com/

Browsers

Mozilla Firefox (eldmannen posted this one)

http://www.getfirefox.com/

Great web browser, free, open-source. Secure, safe, tabbed browsing. Can disable Java, Javascript, third-party cookies, third-party loading of images, etc (to get rid of banners), it blocks popups, etc.

Maxthon (Browser)

The best IE shell ever. When you HAVE to use IE why not make it like firefox. Features tabbed browsing, skinnable interface, and mouse gestures.

http://www.maxthon.com/

-------------

After I get all of the pages like that I will then copy them all into one big list and redo any not so good descriptions, and then make them in a unified format. I also plan to put in small letters next to each program listed submitted by: with a link to that persons profile, that should help to ensure that this remains a community involved thing.(to the people that will hopefully be helping me with this I will worry about the posters names, so you don't need to bother with that.)

Then once its all done I will run it through NVU and post the link at the bottom to a downloadable HTML document. This should be a great resource!

To the ones that want to help post here and say what page you want to do. You can organize them in notepad, openoffice, abiword,ms word I dont care. Then once your done PM me and I will give you my email and all you have to do is email me your list. No rush in getting this done either.

Also what do you all think? Is this something you would want?

EDIT:

Also I forgot to mention that I will also be going through the software part of the forum and adding in anything that was posted there and not in the freeware thread.(I know I'm the main culprit of this). I will of course not get everything but I'll do my best to get most of it.

• Moderators

And dont forget to use spell check, because you are notorious for spelling errors. :) just joking!

Believe me, I know my spelling is terrible. :P The greatest thing ever is this new inline spell checker for the mozilla browsers. My spelling has improved immensely because of it. :D

Just a suggestion rridgley.

Why not just put a list of freeware, sorted by catagory, and have the link under them first, and then a separate column after the completed list that goes through the description?

I think if people are looking for a certain app, they mostly just want the list, and if they want to search further about it, they click on the link and go to the web page and read about it. Because the reviews seem to be fairly subjective anyways.

This would probably be less work, more organized, and then easier to update in the future, with less grammar/spell checking to do. Especially as it doesnt seem that you are getting (at least posting in this thread anyway) lots of volunteers.

On another note, if we come across more freeware, or existing freeware not on the list, can we pm it to you to be added?

Just curious!

I think if people are looking for a certain app, they mostly just want the list

i like descriptions!

ive found some good freeware that i use just because i read the description and liked it.

• Moderators

Just a suggestion rridgley.

Why not just put a list of freeware, sorted by catagory, and have the link under them first, and then a separate column after the completed list that goes through the description?

I think if people are looking for a certain app, they mostly just want the list, and if they want to search further about it, they click on the link and go to the web page and read about it. Because the reviews seem to be fairly subjective anyways.

This would probably be less work, more organized, and then easier to update in the future, with less grammar/spell checking to do. Especially as it doesnt seem that you are getting (at least posting in this thread anyway) lots of volunteers.

That would be a lot less work and I will also make a list like this. I'll post them both here(the way I want and just a list) then you all can decide what you want to stay. :)

What I plan to do is have each app with a description like this:

Office Software

Openoffice

OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.

On another note, if we come across more freeware, or existing freeware not on the list, can we pm it to you to be added?

Just curious!

Of course!