Drive Wipe free space on Windows D: (HDD) drive necessary?

kelvin32134

This is an older (HDD) windows computer that I will be sharing with someone soon. I've deleted all my files and wiped the C: drive. Do I need to wipe the D: drive too (Could have any of my personal files on it)?

• Moderators

The point of doing a drive wipe before passing the drive on to someone else is to remove all traces of your old/deleted files so that if a new owner runs recovery software it can't recover them.
If you want to be sure that deleted files can't be recovered from D: then you wipe it.

If you want to be entirely sure your files can't be recovered by someone then do what buisnesses do when getting rid of their old computers. Ie Take the drives out.
Put new ones in, or give/sell it without any drives.
If you want to be nice then you can put at least a new C: drive in there, and to be realy nice install Windows on it for the new owner.

An older computer whit a HDD will greatly benefit from having a new SSD as the C: drive anyway, it's a recommended (almost essential) upgrade for any old computer.
(If/when I've had an older laptop to fix/refurbish before donating it to a charity etc. one of the first thing I generally do is make sure the C: drive is an SSD, and if it isn't then change it to one).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043