CCleaner ignores own settings

I use CCleaner already for years (though occasionally to do some clean-up work, and mainly due to (misleading) false alarms by Avast). 

I had my settings adjusted to not clear my browsers history, which I do manually. 

So for the first time I used the more general option Health Check. I let it do what it proposed, and then it turned out it had deleted my browser history, although in the clean-up settings this was unchecked (for the specific browser).

I use several browsers: one for serious work, one for less serious work or websites that seems less reliable, working without cookies, and one or two for cases where the first two don't work. For he first one I like/need to keep my history to find things I worked on last week or so. So now I lost that.

I'm on W10, Avast AV, and OSSU privacy script. CCleaner up-to-date, april 7th 2024.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, FVZ said:

So for the first time I used the more general option Health Check. I let it do what it proposed, and then it turned out it had deleted my browser history, although in the clean-up settings this was unchecked (for the specific browser)

That is not a bug, - It is how the two different types of cleaning in CCleaner are intended to work.

Health Check and Custom Clean use different cleaning rules.

If they just did the same then there would be no point in having them both.

You can customise the cleaning settings in Custom Clean, (the clue is in the name), but those settings do not apply to Health Check which always uses it's own cleaning rules.

Whilst you can tell Health Check not to clean certain things you have to tell it that each time you run it.
One exception to that is cookies - the Allowed cookies/Cookies to Keep list is shared by both types of cleaning.

So if you don't want something to be cleaned you can untick it in Custom Clean which will then leave it alone; but Health Check will still clean it whether it is unticked or not.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043