Driver Updater running on it's own?

This new topic has been split out from a previous (old) thread. (Nukecad).

On 04/01/2023 at 17:38, nukecad said:

You should not have a problem with CCleaner's Driver Updater - it does not automatically update any drivers.

CCleaners Driver Updater will not run unless you click on it and then scan/update your drivers. Don't click on it  and it will never run.
CCleaners Driver Updater will only update drivers if you tell it to do so in the CCleaner Pro version, it will not update drivers in the CCleaner Free version.

If something is updating your drivers automatically then it is not CCleaner.
It might be Windows Update, or it might be some other Driver Updater that you have installed. (Maybe accidentally?).

Just to add - You might see automatic Software Updates with CCleaner though:

The Software Updater will run automatically if you are using Health Check in the CCleaner Pro version.*
The Software Updater will not run automatically if you use Custom Clean in the CCleaner Pro version.
The Software Updater will not update anything in the CCleaner Free version.

The Software Updater can also be run manually at any time from the 'Tools' menu, but it will not update any softwares in CCleaner Free

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* If Health Check in CCleaner Pro finds Software to update then it will tell you so in the 'Security' box.
image.png

If it does find something than you can click on that box to see what it has found, and untick the update if you don't want it yet.
You will have to untick it every time that you run Health Check.
TBH I am not sure just how that unticking works if you have Health Check set to run on a schedule. (I might try to test that later).

I just updated to CCLeaner 6.22 Free, and the second time running it, Driver Updater ran on it's own.  I didn't click on it, didn't even run PC Health Check because I go right to Custom Clean.  So something must have changed since your reply. I do my own driver updating: I don't want CCleaner to do it, and I don't want to be nagged. Please tell me how I can stop this from running unbidden. Thanks.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, guitardis said:

I just updated to CCLeaner 6.22 Free, and the second time running it, Driver Updater ran on it's own.  I didn't click on it, didn't even run PC Health Check because I go right to Custom Clean.  So something must have changed since your reply. I do my own driver updating: I don't want CCleaner to do it, and I don't want to be nagged. Please tell me how I can stop this from running unbidden. Thanks.

As that reply of mine in a different thread was made over a year ago it would be surprising if things hadn't changed.
From the v6.22 release notes:

With CCleaner v6.22, we have expanded our cleaning capabilities, improved software and driver updaters, and bolstered regular maintenance. Now, we regularly scan your PC for junk, as well as outdated software and drivers. You can easily access the scan results by clicking on the “Health status” button in the top bar. 

Note that some users may not see that "Health status" button yet. (I'm not seeing it here yet).

AFAIK at this time, the scans will run automatically but nothing will be updated unless you tell it to by using that button.

I do agree with you and personally I don't see any need at all for CCleaner to be doing such scans unless asked to by the user.
If scanning for driver updates had been added to Health check, when run, then that would be fair enough.
Adding such automatic scanning for all users, regardless of settings or use, is in my opinion both unnecessary and unreasonable.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043