Norton Internet security 2005 removal.

Anthony A

Well long story short, Windows Update trashed my Norton and it has to be uninstalled. Well I might as well be removing a brain tumor because this thing is a disease. I have been on the phone all day on and off with Norton support and we have run all the removal tools and even went into the registry with them and deleted files left over. What a joke this program is. Any way I have been assured that Norton has been totally removed. Guess what when I open Windows Security center it says Norton Firewall and Internet security are up and running fine. They have been gutted from my machine!! So I run CCleaner on the issues tab and of course there are all kinds of references to Norton and Symantec. I really don't know if i should try and fix them. I just really want Windows security Center to not say they are installed and running. I want them to monitor and report on the new programs I will be installing. Any suggestions on what entires might be responsible for this problem? Thank You

• Moderators

I would run ccleaner issues and remove them(you could always just back them up when it asks too.) I want to say the last time I ran ccleaner after removing norton it found like 200 issues the first scan and 100 something the second time.

Norton will leave remnants all over your computer, which is one reason people hate it so much. You could post a hijackthis log, or use hijack this yourself and remove all of the symantec stuff you see.(then run ccleaner issues again)

Post a log if you want me to point out all the norton stuff for you. :)

Uninstallation of a Norton products is a mystery...

Lots of people say that Norton refuse to properly uninstall.

It has even been speculated that Norton intentionally made it very difficult to get rid off.

Lesson of today: Do not install any Norton products.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

you`ll need a separate Freeware-Programm to completely uninstall Norton from your system. Another (more complicated) solution would be to completely format and newinstall your system.

Even though you might have deinstalled the Norton-Suite with its own Uninstall-Routine, remains of that programm will stay in your system (especially the Firewall-services).

Look here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...v=&osv_lvl=

I fear CCleaner won?t do the job completely for you.

Oliver

If I use CCleaner to fix the issues and just correct the Norton/Symantec issues I really won't mess up any thing else right? I mean it's just the Norton issues I will be fixing and that program is "removed". It shouldn't damage any thing that I need right? Thanks.

One more thing. When CCleaner makes a back when you correct issues does it back up the whole registry or jus the corrected issue? Where do I find the back up? When I find it do I just double click it and it installs itself? Thanks

• Moderators

No of course it wont mess anything up. If your not sure about it you can make back ups(ccleaner prompts you to before removing them). :)

Edit:

It lets you choose the location to save the back up. It only makes a back up of corrected issues and to use it you just double click it. Hope that answered everything. :)

No of course it wont mess anything up. If your not sure about it you can make back ups(ccleaner prompts you to before removing them). :)

Edit:

It lets you choose the location to save the back up. It only makes a back up of corrected issues and to use it you just double click it. Hope that answered everything. :)

Yes thank you.

you`ll need a separate Freeware-Programm to completely uninstall Norton from your system. Another (more complicated) solution would be to completely format and newinstall your system.

Even though you might have deinstalled the Norton-Suite with its own Uninstall-Routine, remains of that programm will stay in your system (especially the Firewall-services).

Look here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...v=&osv_lvl=

I fear CCleaner won?t do the job completely for you.

Oliver

Norton had me run 3 tools.

MSIFIX.bat file

SymNRT.exe file

SYMMSICEANUP.reg file

This was supposed to totally uninstall and obviously hasn't.