Updating CCleaner result in a Business Version Replacing my Personal One

Bardiferously

Why does Updating CCleaner result in a Business Version Replacing my Personal Version?  I uninstalled CCleaner and then reinstalled the free version.  I shouldn't have to do this.  I did not see any option to upgrade to the Business version.

• Moderators

Very unusual,

Can you tell us how did you do the update? (step-by-step if possible) and I'll see if I can replicate it.

Did you take any screenshots of the business version?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have my CCleaner set to notify me when there is an update but give me the option to install it or to wait for later.  6.21 popped up (I was running 6.20) and I let it update.  When it restarted, CCleaner was asking for a Business license number.

I did not do any screen shots before, during, or after the update.  Yesterday I uninstalled CCleaner, downloaded the Free Personal version and installed that on my laptop.  So 6.21 is now the Free version that I have used for many years now.

• Moderators

OK, was it perhaps asking you for a 'Professional' licence rather than 'Business'?

Despite the name 'CCleaner Professional' is for home use.
'CCleaner for Business' is a different thing altogether.

The Free version of CCleaner will sometimes ask you if you want to upgrade to Professional, so you can then access the extra paid-for features.
It doesn't usually ask for a licence key number at that point though, and you can just cancel it if you don't want to upgrade.

Is this screen the screen that you saw asking you for a number? If it is then just clicking on 'Back' would have taken you out of it.
Or clicking 'Health Check', 'Custom Clean', or one of the others would have taken you straight to those.

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Very strange then and I can't explain that, other than possibly some kind of temporary glitch/redirect when downloading the update?

I guess that we will never know for sure just what happened - nobody else has reported seeing the same thing  (at least not yet).

I'd put it down to one of the many odd things that can sometimes happen with computers, and as you have now reinstalled CCleaner Free I'd just carry on as normal.

If it should happen to you again, and I doubt that it ever will, then please screenshot what it installs and post that screenshot here so that we have something to pass on to the staff for investigation.

I've mentioned this to them anyway, but at the moment there isn't much to go on.