McAffee bundle with upgrades

I've recently decided to stop upgrading CCleaner.

Every time I install the new upgrade it installs as well McAfee while I already have a legit (paid) WebProtection/Antivirus tool.

Uninstalling McAfee is cumbersome, time consuming and overall more and more annoying.

Is there a way to skip this useless install so I can keep on using CCleaner??

• Moderators

The CCleaner installer/updater does not and will not install McAfee.
(It will sometimes offer you Avast or AVG, but not McAfee)

Can you descrine exactly what you see and what happens after you update CCleaner?
In other words exactly how you believe McAfee is being installed?

When you say McAfee is it their Antivirus or is it another McAfee product/tool?

There is another slight possibility that might* update some McAfee products,  although I don't think that it would update the AV itself*.
Are you running CCleaner Pro, and do you use Healh Check? (or run the seperate Software Updater?).

If you already have traces of something McAfee on your machine then Health Check 'Security' (or the Software Updater if run seperately) might* see those traces and think that you already have a McAfee product installed, so might* then try to update that McAfee product to the latest version.
Is that what you are seeing happen?

*I don't think that would happen though - because AV's update themselves, there would be no need to have CCleaner update an AV for you.

How are you removing McAfee?
You may (will) be leaving traces behind if you just use the Windows uninstaller.
I'd suggest that you let McAfee install again (or install it yourself) and then use the "McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool" to get rid of it.
See Option 2 here: https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I think you're right! Thanks!

AVG definitely rings a bell and I might have forgotten it was AVG (and not McAffee), but I am sure I wasn't asked whether I wanted it or not.
To make sure, I'll install today CCleaner upgrades and I'll update whether this happens again or not, and whether I'm asked or not to install AVG.

Thanks again!

• Moderators

If it does offer you Avast or AVG then it's a screen with pretty big 'Decline' and 'Accept' buttons.

You are unlikely to miss those buttons or click the wrong one by mistake.

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Well, I've installed the last version just now.

Bottom line, not AVG nor any other 3rd party tool was installed, so I can close my post, Thanks.

But now some more about how it went:

1. I was receiving continuously notifications to upgrade CCleaner, rejecting them all, because of what I've described in my 1st post above. My version was 6.18 something.

2. Deciding to upgrade again now, I opened CCleaner and clicked the "check for updates" line at the bottom right corner.

3. CCleaner answer was that I had the last update and no upgrade was needed.

4. I googled anyway to double check and oh, wonder, google showed that the actual last version was 6.20.

5. So I downloaded it and installed it and as I wrote, it went well, finishing after a few minutes and installing only CCleaner.

It seems the unwanted install of 3rd party annoying tools was just an episode.

@nukecad, Thanks a lot really!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, DMK1 said:

It seems the unwanted install of 3rd party annoying tools was just an episode

It could and did happen in the past, when the 'decline' option was a small tickbox and not very clear at all, so you could easily miss it if not paying attention.
And if you didn't tick it then the offered product downloaded.
We used to see a lot of complaints about unwanted installs back then, so they changed it.

It's been a few years now since they changed to using that new style screen with the big buttons, which as you can see from my screenshot above would be pretty hard to miss.
Plus if you do get an offer screen then you have to click one of those buttons to continue, so you won't get the offered product downloaded unless you do click on 'Accept'.