CCleaner's Adware/Spyware Like Tendencies

Goodheart007

Hi there, 

I'm trying to understand why ccleaner blatantly disregards the privacy and update settings that are configured? 

I have the latest version of CCleaner Free 6.19 installed currently, and when i first installed it i disabled automatic updates, and send notifications of new updates. I also went to Privacy and disabled all 3 options there, help improve..., see possible upgrades by sharing app usage data..., and see 3rd party offers...

So with these options all disabled, why is ccleaner downloading the latest update to my computer? Why is it gathering and sending data dumps every day at 9PM? And why does it show popup notifications whenever it wants?

Is Piriform purposefully deceiving us? What are they doing with these data dumps and what information do they contain?

• Moderators

See: https://www.ccleaner.com/about/data-factsheet

When you open CCleaner and you are online them it will check with the server if you have a (valid) licence, if your licence is up to date, when it's due to expire, and so on.

The task that runs everyday (at 9PM in your case. it's a different time for everybody) is the crash reporter.
It opens on a (daily) schedule and checks if there are any CCleaner error reports/logs to send, if there aren't any then it doesn't send anything. I have confirmed that to my own satisfaction.
It can be annoying because it briefly flashes a command window on screen, on/off too quick to read it and see what it is.
You can go into Windows Task Scheduler and change the time it runs - I sugest that you set it to run at startup and that way you'll not notice it.
(If you simply disable it in Task Scheduler then it will get re-enabled next time you update or re-install CCleaner).

I'm not sure just which popups you mean, there's more than one type.
Popups may be notifications from Smart Cleaning - disable Smart cleaning to stop them. (or in CCleaner Pro change the Smart Cleaning options).
Or they could be advertising popups about offers on purchasing CCleaner Pro - that's the price you pay for running the Free version of most software that has a paid version too. (The way to stop those is pretty obvious, buy Pro).

Why it would be updating automatically if you have turned that off I don't know, but check that it hasn't been turned on again.
How do you usually update your CCleaner to the latest version?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043