CCcleaner deleted all of my chrome bookmarks

zoef

I ran CCcleaner a few days ago on cookies and web cache and I just learned that it deleted all of my bookmarks in google chrome. These bookmarks were important to me and I've been compiling them as long as I've had my computer. 

Is there a way to restore these? My computer is a mac. 

Very disappointed that this happened without CCcleaner warning me it would and once (if) I get this figured out I will be removing it from my computer.

• Moderators

I'm not a Mac user myself, but see if this is of any help getting your bookmarks back:
https://www.stellarinfo.co.in/blog/restore-deleted-chrome-bookmarks/#srv2
Theres also a section there on how to prevent it happening again.
It is a software site so of course one of the soultions given is to use their own recovery software, (which I have no clue about), but the others are general soultions

Not being a Mac user I don't have CCleaner for Mac, but I do have a few guesses about what may have happened here.

I don't know if this is a bug in CCleaner, or if it's a consequence of something that CCleaner is meant to do if you tell it to clean certain things 'Chrome' related on your Mac, but it it was CCleaner Mac doing it then I'd expect to see more reports here on the forum of it happening.

The fact that you only noticed your booKmarks missing "a few days" after running CCleaner means that you/we can't be certain that CCleaner was the cause.
Chrome bookmarks can go missing for various reasons, any of which may have happened in those "few days".

I believe that most Mac users have their computer backed up to 'Time Machine', synced to iCloud, or have Chrome synced to their Google account.
'Time Machine', if used, should have a backup of what has been deleted.
With a synced computer/browser things like bookmarks are saved in the cloud so that they can be shared to all your devices.
Which means that if they are deleted from any device (by mistake or deliberately) they will just get synced straight back from the cloud.

I hope that you can get your bookmarks back using the article linked above, but if not at least you now know how to prevent it from happening again either by having your Chrome synced or by making manual backups of the bookmarks.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I ran my CCleaner today and I noticed it deleted all my bookmarks immediately. Safari is fine but all Chrome bookmarks have been deleted.

On 12/11/2023 at 19:30, nukecad said:

I'm not a Mac user myself, but see if this is of any help getting your bookmarks back:
https://www.stellarinfo.co.in/blog/restore-deleted-chrome-bookmarks/#srv2
Theres also a section there on how to prevent it happening again.
It is a software site so of course one of the soultions given is to use their own recovery software, (which I have no clue about), but the others are general soultions

Not being a Mac user I don't have CCleaner for Mac, but I do have a few guesses about what may have happened here.

I don't know if this is a bug in CCleaner, or if it's a consequence of something that CCleaner is meant to do if you tell it to clean certain things 'Chrome' related on your Mac, but it it was CCleaner Mac doing it then I'd expect to see more reports here on the forum of it happening.

The fact that you only noticed your booKmarks missing "a few days" after running CCleaner means that you/we can't be certain that CCleaner was the cause.
Chrome bookmarks can go missing for various reasons, any of which may have happened in those "few days".

I believe that most Mac users have their computer backed up to 'Time Machine', synced to iCloud, or have Chrome synced to their Google account.
'Time Machine', if used, should have a backup of what has been deleted.
With a synced computer/browser things like bookmarks are saved in the cloud so that they can be shared to all your devices.
Which means that if they are deleted from any device (by mistake or deliberately) they will just get synced straight back from the cloud.

I hope that you can get your bookmarks back using the article linked above, but if not at least you now know how to prevent it from happening again either by having your Chrome synced or by making manual backups of the bookmarks.

• Moderators

I can only repeat what I said above.

Whilst it might have been CCleaner that removed them, the fact that the linked article was written at all shows that there are many reasons why Chrome bookmarks can go missing.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043