How do I remove programmes from the custom clean list?

TerryA

• Moderators

There has obviously been some trace left behind after uninstalling the programme, which CCleaner is still seeing.

"Restart" (not Shutdown) your machine to see if that clears the trace.
You can try uninstalling/reinstalling CCleaner (make a note of your licence key first) but I suspect the new install will still see that trace.

This is one of the cases where careful use of the Registry Cleaner might be warranted.

Run the Registry Cleaner and look for any entries found that relate to the uninstalled programme and remove those entries.
(It can be tempting just to delete everything found in Registry Cleaner, and you may be OK doing that, but doing that may cause other issues or even brick your machine. Your risk).

I would also do a search in file Explorer for any files or folders with the uninstalled programmes name.

Rather than looking manually for reg entries and files  like that it may be easier to use Revo Uninstaller to remove the leftovers.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/
There are 2 ways to do it for an already uninstalled programme, depends if you want to pay for Revo or not

1. Revo Pro (or Pro Trial) has a Forced Uninstall mode which can search using its logs for traces that softwares are known to leave behind and remove them.
  2. Or install Revo Free, re-install the problem software, then use Revo to uninstall the problem software again and clean up after it.

TBH it's probably easiest just to ignore the old entry. (and you may find that it will eventually dissapear anyway, maybe following a Windows Update).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Restarting was not an option as this has been there for a few months now.

I reinstalled the programme then uninstalled it using Revo, rebooted and lo and behold! CCleaner said it still existed!!

So I reinstalled it again but this time uninstalled using CCleaner, rebooted and it vanished! Very curious ... but it's gone.

• Moderators

As long as you are happy, that's all that counts in the end.

CCleaner just runs the Windows Uninstall.
But there again so does Revo to start with, but then lets you scan for leftovers to be removed.

It does sometimes take restarting Windows a few times before changes made during ininstall shake out.

But I'm guessing that using Revo you cleared 'something' left over from the old uninstall, 'something' that was not put back by the later reinstall(s), something that the programme in question no longer installs as standard so no longer uninstalls as standard. (If you follow what I mean).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043