Duplicate finder is zeroing files

dfpr

• Moderators

It isn't clear just what you are asking here?

It seems clear that you are using Duplicate Finder and deleting duplicate files from there.

Is something happening that you don't expect to happen?
Or is something not happening that you do expect?

Please also say what Windows version you are using, whether the drive you are deleting the files from is a HDD or an SSD, and if it's an internal or external drive?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't expect Ccleaner to write zeroes into the duplicated files before deleting them, I have not enabled such thing and I don't know if it is normal, I expect Ccleaner to just delete the files without delay.

I'm running Windows 11 and it's an external usb3 gpt encrypted(bitlocker) ntfs 4tb hdd drive.

• Moderators

TBH it's not something that I've ever look into, but as far as I know Duplicate Finder would just do a standard delete.

Although with this being an encrypted drive then something else other than CCleaner may be zero filling them on deletion.

My next question has to be how you know that the deleted files have been zero filled? (ie have you been trying to recover them?

Is having them zero filled a problem for some reason?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I know because it was talking a very long time so I forced quit CC and saw the files contained zeroes up to some point. It's definitely an issue since files sum up to hundred of gygabytes being slowly and unnecessarily zeroed. I don't have any other software that could be doing that.

• Moderators

Just reading back to your original post where you say that you have Secure Delete set to "Faster' in Options.

But you don't say if it is ticked to enable it.

Do you have Secure Delete turned on?

if so then turn it off (Normal file deletion) if you don't want secure deletion.

• Moderators

Fine, we are now clear on that and as you are not telling CCleaner to do a secure delete then it will not be CCleaner that is doing it.

(I have certainly never noticed it happening when deleting files in Duplicate Finder myself).

So it must be something else that is doing it, and I would suspect that it is the encrypted drive's controller.
Which makes sense when you think about it, if your data is important enough to use an encrypted drive then it's important enough that you would want it to be securely deleted.

Try the following to test if it is that particular drive:

1. Use Duplicate Finder to find the files, make a note of their pathnames (or Save as Text file), browse to them in File Explorer, delete them from there.
    Is the drive still doing a zero fill?
  2. Use Duplicate Finder to find some duplicate files on a different not encrypyed drive, (make some duplicates if needed), delete them using Duplicate Finder.
    Are the deleted files on that not encrypted drive also being zero filled?

you might be sure it is not ccleaner fault but I was under the impression that this is the right place to submit a bug report. Be certain that I have made all the tests before trying to get some help and I wouldn't be wasting your time if I wasn't sure it is ccleaner the source of the issue. The drive being encrypted or not makes not difference, like a said several times I have no other software that is zeroing out the files. If you can't or don't want to fix the bug then it's fine, I'll look for another program, goodbye.

• Moderators

Fair enough, that is always a choice that you can make,
But please note that this is a USER forum where you can get help from other, very knowlegable and experienced, USERS.

At the moment you are the only person reporting this behaviour here, out of millions of CCleaner users worldwide.
Whilst you may indeed be the first to spot a new bug if that cannot be reproduced then it would suggest that you have something different happpening at/with your computer.

If you want to raise an official support ticket you can use the form here to raise your request:  https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

Please be aware that support are very busy at the moment and are taking much longer that usual to answer.
(Up to a week, or even longer).

After submitting the form you should get a ticket number and will also get an automatic email reply (check your email spam folder), if you have those then you are in the queue, so please have patience and someone will get to your request.

Please also note that as it tells you in the email opening another ticket may put you back down the queue and so further delay the response.
(That's just the way that the queueing system works