Stuck on reading

Agrumes

Hello,

I recently installed a game on an old HDD (~5yo, good health) but it was pretty laggy so i decided to defrag it.
The problem is that deffragler appears to be stuck whan trying to read some files:

1st instance of this was when reading a 8gb mp4 file, moving the file to another drive solved the problem.
2nd instance: when trying to read a .pak (4gb) game file, cannot move it for obvious reasons
I dont understand why this happens since this drive has 375Gb of free space (almost half the drive).

can someone give me some insight?

Capture.PNG

some precisions:

D: and E: are part of the same disk.
         since D: is almost full, could it be the cause of the problem?
C: is an HDD, idk why its detected as an SSD.
each time it got stuck, i let the program run for a few hours but it didn't help.

• Moderators

There is quite a lot of fragmentation there.

I'd try doing just a file defrag, and in stages.

Do an Analyze and then switch to the Files tab (or click 'Show files' which switches tab).

You can then use the tickboxes on the left to select all files, or select just a number to do at a time. Then click 'Defrag Files' to do the ones you have ticked.

That method defrags the files themselves as best it can without trying to Consolidate them all into one clump on the drive.

And of course you can do some then come back later and do some more.

You have 106 fragmented files there so maybe try doing 10 or 20 at a time? Whether you start with the most fragmented or least fragmented ones is your choice.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

"Defrag files" is always quicker than doing a 'full' defrag.

That's because it is only working to get each file in one piece, which is what you want.

A 'full' defrag does more than that and also tries to get them all together on the disc. That's called 'Consolidation' of the files.

(TBH consolidation is not needed - but it makes a pretty picture on the drive map if all the blocks are blue and all next to each other with no gaps, LOL).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043